3rd gear destroyed:(

td04 project:)

Member +
Basically during driving quite spirited last night i went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and it all went tits up!
Now the car drives in all gears except 3rd but is making a horrible noise:(
So im guessing ive fecked 3rd all together but i was wondering what my options are as ive only recently fitted it with a trd lsd?

If anyone can give me some advice as to what they would do for example get gearbox fixed prices or take lsd out and fit to the box i took out which is in good condition???
Im totaly gutted about this:(

Thanks guys,
Allan

AdamB

Member +
Seems like a quite a common problem. Either the synchro has gone or the teeth on the gear have completely sheared off. Best way to know would be to drain the gearbox oil, if it's metallic like in colour then the chances are you've sheared off plenty of the teeth on the gear.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i did it, but i screwed the selector bolt that engaged thrid gear...actual third gear was fine, so had it dressed up and been fine since..

Texx

Super Moderator
As you've got another box to use, the cheapest option would be swapping the diff into the other box.

twaiter

Member +
Mate I had Iain@crd take my box for a refurb, he took it to a place near him in greenock not far from u and it cost 250 I think! Give Iain a shout I think it was Toyota he used, not sure though. Hope it works out bud!

goldenvtr

Member +
Anyone recommend someone who could rebuild the gearbox for me?

done the same as me then with 3rd gear lol, typical glanza box weak 3rd gear, i went back to a GT box as there slightl stronger.

if yours is anything like mine then its beyond a rebuild, i totallt fukked the gearbox when 3rd gear got stripped, all the metal inside ruined eerything and i had to thorougly clean out the diff with pressure wash, presured air and magnets to get the bits out lol. i did put some pics up ill find the link

td04 project:)

Member +
Cheers mate i appreciate that, to be fair you done 600 miles lol i done 2.

Think im just going to fit the old box back in and be done with it just now, pretty gutted but ah well shit happens!!

Cheers

goldenvtr

Member +
very true, i didnt have a choice but to keep using mine haha, if you litrially did a couple of miles you could be lucky, but dont rule out there could be more than just 3rd gear that has been damaged.

just a heads up really mate, the joys of running lots of torque :) how long did yours last at that power?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aye when my 3rd went it took out the crown wheel and shaft as well, the diff needed stripped down and cleaned, it was full of tiny metal fragments.

triple j

Member +
my gearbox just went after replacing a clutch it was perfect before that, i got another off a mate but 2nd and 3rd synchro are not the best but not bad, so i will get another because it will cost more to replace synchros than to get a 2nd hand box

socks

Member +
done the same as me then with 3rd gear lol, typical glanza box weak 3rd gear, i went back to a GT box as there slightl stronger.

if yours is anything like mine then its beyond a rebuild, i totallt fukked the gearbox when 3rd gear got stripped, all the metal inside ruined eerything and i had to thorougly clean out the diff with pressure wash, presured air and magnets to get the bits out lol. i did put some pics up ill find the link

The GT Boxes are Stronger then the Glanza Boxes???

Honestly? What makes them stronger? 3rd gear stronger??

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The GT Boxes are Stronger then the Glanza Boxes???

Honestly? What makes them stronger? 3rd gear stronger??

They're going to be made from the same materials but if I had to take a guess the shorter 3rd and 4th gears would mean a higher torque level in those gears so a higher chance of blowing one of them gears.

The only box I destroyed was the one I fitted a 4.3FD into. Second day out racing and it blew 3rd, I'd be guessing it was due to the higher torque levels going through each gear.