1NT - Turbos?

Glanza TD

Fresh Recruit
I picked up a Tercel NL40, 1NT engine. got it for its diesel engine, car driving ok, felt bit dead. An old lad had it, parkd up for ages, twas at night time, didnt do too much looking at it, had a 1NT engine, tats all I wanted it for, D-TURBO on rocker cover, 1NT on chassis plate etc
Neways pulled the engine out tonite, found a nasty suprise before we started. The f**% turbo was blanked off - the inlet side of turbo gone, exhaust housing side still there with a plate welded ovr it. the air intake pipes were 'modified' to run engine as a strait diesel:mad: got car for 100 euro, so not all bad.
I have a 2.0 diesel camry CT9 turbo + a 99 avensis 2.0TD turbo, which bolts on to manifold perfect. I strippd it down, rotated housings + oil feed to suit. Looks like it will work, wud the CT9 be better or work with wat I have????:confused: what other options?
Will these turbos be over boosting the little 1.5 too much now as they were for 2.0 engines OR the opposite big lag etc??
Engine will be rebuilt neway, will the std pistons be man enough for 'bigger' turbo etc.
This will sound mad, but is there such ting as forged pistons for diesels????
Also wud a front mount intercooler with custom pipes be worth the work, gains etc:confused:
Any sugestions/advice will be greatly appreciated:cool:

sx_turbo

Lifer
The ct9 is actually a very small turbo and on a 1.5 engine diesel or not will work very well, with loads of lowdown power and torque and prob give excellent top end for a diesel.

The ct9 is at it's optimum at 1bar boost and an intercooler is recomended (will run to hot without one)

toyota probably used the really small turbo on the 2.0 for optimum low down torque, toyota werent really bothered with a broad power band,

Glanza TD

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for that. Theres no numbr on 99 avensis TD turbo, but is very fresh, no play on turbine shaft. thats why I'd rather that 1 ovr the old diesel CT9, bit of play in that 1. looks similar though. So a engine rebuild with this turbo, wud be a good job? What boost do you know did the orginal 1NT turbo work at?