200sx or civic vti

Paddy

Lifer
thinking of changing the glanza. was just looking at a 98 civic vti and the s13 and s14 200sx. really wanna try the vtec but thinking rwd is more tempting. has anyone had any experience with either of the 2. would it be worth the swap?

ragz

Member +
youll be back to the world oc 4e-fte in no time like the rest

if i had ur choice id go sideways

good luck

Dan3SGTE

Member +
A nicely tuned S14 would be great... S13 is dated now in my opinion. My bro had a 13 and they are very nice at goin sideways thats for sure...... very controllerable.

Paddy

Lifer
the glanza is really starting to piss me off now. it doesnt run properly when it boosts past .7. really want a nice amount of power but cant. want power high in the revs thats why i wanna try the vtec. cant find a decent s13 any where.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i wont comment about the vtec even though i would love to express my opinion i feel as though i cant....

But yeah if you like that revvy type of engine im pretty confidant you will like it. Good reliable cars also.

Paddy

Lifer
i wont comment about the vtec even though i would love to express my opinion i feel as though i cant....

But yeah if you like that revvy type of engine im pretty confidant you will like it. Good reliable cars also.

went in a civic type r only in 1st and 2nd gear felt good, do u still notice the vtec in the higher gears?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
went in a civic type r only in 1st and 2nd gear felt good, do u still notice the vtec in the higher gears?

very much so. Every gear the kick is distinctive changing over. But that just depends what engine you go for.... The newer type R engines have a smother vtec crossover.... The older ones are renound for having a good kick.

To give you an insite my engine made 30BHP in 400RPM, (6100RPM-6500RPM) from non-vtec to vtec.... So you can imagine, its a pretty hard kick.

turbo-fever

Member +
look at it this way 200 is turbo rwd car and the type r is n/a fwd lol completely different both fast but in their own way, type r's are not slow at all for n/a its just the 200's have more tuning and its easier but guarantee the honda will last longer no matter how much abuse u give it

gv1.3

Admin
the glanza is really starting to piss me off now. it doesnt run properly when it boosts past .7. really want a nice amount of power but cant. want power high in the revs thats why i wanna try the vtec. cant find a decent s13 any where.

Paddy my advice would be to do lots of test driving prior to purchasing anything. The vtec I drove had a bit of a kick but nothing particularly impressive. It did rev high but had very little low down pull. It depends on the type of driving experience you like. I would sum up my drive in an ITR as lots of noise and revs but not much feeling of going anywhere.

If I were you I would look at getting your Glanza sorted out if its having problems or perhaps looking for some other turbo/super charged car depending on your prefererance. Just do as much test driving as you can to get a feel for the car you are interested in before you buy it.

LMAO: at keeping it on topic.. I must remember that one

Dan3SGTE

Member +
I think the S14 with a steady 300HP would be alot more fun in the sense of drifting etc etc.....

But if your looking for a competition car for racing(tracking) personally i would go for the type R.... It depends on what tickles your fancy at the moment in time... Both great cars when it comes down to it.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
As dylan said, Its all about test driving because we are all going to have diffeent opinions..... the hondas, either you love them or you really dont like them... But they are a definiete performer without question, just the drive doesnt appeal to a few....

turbo-fever

Member +
dont worry dan i know wat u sayin lol i was impressed with the old civic esi i owned that was only like the single cam vtec but still pretty damn good

gv1.3

Admin
no denying Hondas have amazing engines just be careful about the "vtec yo!" comments... it is starting to make civics have a bad name all over the internet as they are hyped as having some mystical powers when infact for many the "feeling" of vtec is a let down completely - i.e. dont expect it to feel like a turbo charger kicking in because its not a kick in that sense.

On another note a well known supplier of tuning parts here in Ireland have told me on a couple of occassions that both him and his partner wont take anything but a honda to the track as they will run all day without problems and have decent handling without modifications.

turbo-fever

Member +
that is 1 key thing bout hondas they loved to be absolutely thrashed, its awesome lol and yer your right the kick of vtec is not like a turbo kick very different but its still good kick, need to experience these things first hand get your own opinion

gv1.3

Admin
When I was over in malta at the drag strip they had a free run day on and the lads were going up and down constantly and the hondas went time and time and time again without ever stopping.. its impressive to see a car take that much abuse. Having said that my glanza has never given me hassle and I know of people with hondas that have had serious engine issues I guess you can get lucky or unlucky with anything.