20w50 oil???

sx_turbo

Lifer
right so i've just picked up my engine from the builder.

and after talking to him about how he thinks i should run it in and the oil i should use,

he said to run it in with just buy some cheapo 10w40 mineral oil (NOT semi synthetic), which i agree with.

but,

he said once it's run in because the engine doesnt rely on hydraulic tappets, to use valvoline 20w50 vr1 racing oil.

now i know this works in mini's, but wouldnt be a bit thick for my car?

i mean the car will only be used weekends, and i just cant help but think that it would be to thick on cold start up.

what dop you guys think?

GTdan

In The Closet
hmmm...i plan on using 10w40 fully for once mine has run in, and as you said using mineral to run it in with.

20 does sound a bit to thick for me, but im not a mechanic or build engines and only going off what ive read and been told.

sx_turbo

Lifer
hmmm...i plan on using 10w40 fully for once mine has run in, and as you said using mineral to run it in with.

20 does sound a bit to thick for me, but im not a mechanic or build engines and only going off what ive read and been told.

my exact same thoughts lol.

i just dont want anything to bloody go wrong this time round.

sx_turbo

Lifer
well on the dyno the max temp the oil saw was 115 degrees celcius, and that was on the stock block with a hybrid ct9 being pushed to within it's limits.

never had an oil temp gauge in before but i have one this time, but will get the runing in done first, before i fit the oil filter relocation kit.

Rory

Lifer
Thats a bit thick,
Aye it will be fine in a mini, but the sump in a mini is also the gearbox oil, and it will have a harder time.

I was recomended to run Fully Synthetic Silkolene 5w40.
Never had an issue.

sx_turbo

Lifer
see that what i was gonna run, valvoline 5w40 fully syn,

but he said 20w50 would be ideal, and thought i would just ask other peoples opinions.

i'll see closer to the time, i know certainly in the winter i would be using a thiner grade of oil

GTti

Member +
Agree, 5w40 is good for our weather and cold starts I wouldn't bother going greater than 10w40.

GTti

Member +
well on the dyno the max temp the oil saw was 115 degrees celcius, and that was on the stock block with a hybrid ct9 being pushed to within it's limits.

115c is fine. Mine was 120-125c at Llandow, good job it was Silkolene ester based oil, normal oil would have been shearing by then.

Monkfish

Member +
20w50 is too thick when cold and too thin when hot. 10w40 Semi-Synth is probably about the best for the UK's variable climate.

sx_turbo

Lifer
20w50 wouldnt be to thin when hot,

i agree the 20w50 is probably to thick, but do i follow the advice of the engine builder, or just do what i think?

GT_Ben

Member +
Dont u think you should listen to the guy who actualy just built your engine, and not what 1831 engine wana-builders think because there grampas, brothers, uncle in law who races go-karts told them. :homer:

You see where im coming from Rickie? ;)

Ben

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah i see where ur coming from ben, just my problem is, i've already had 1 engine fuc k up and i followed the advice of the builder (although what was the cause was not there fault) but all the advice i was given was incorrect, i could really do without another engine going.

once the engines run in, i'll give the guy another call and see what he recomends again and let him know my worries.

GT_Ben

Member +
I see where your coming from Rickie!

Id do as youv said, run it in then have another word with him. Personaly id just use 10w40 fully synthetic, something like the silkoline pro but see what he says.

Ben

Monkfish

Member +
20w50 wouldnt be to thin when hot,
Duh, mental block on my part. You are right, it is too thick. :eek:

Dont u think you should listen to the guy who actualy just built your engine, and not what 1831 engine wana-builders think because there grampas, brothers, uncle in law who races go-karts told them. :homer:
Engine builders aren't always that clued up on certain engines. I'd follow the advice of several people from an owners forum who have tried and tested the results than an engine builder's 'best guess'.

EvilKnievel

Member +
I run mine on Castrol Edge 10w60 fully synthetic, never had any probs and she runs nice and quite. Reccomended by various mechanics/tuners for high revving hard driven cars. Also used a lot on the track.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Ive just changed over to Silkolene Pro S 5w40 and its awesome mate, wouldnt use another oil to be honest. Pay for what you get :).

Last edited: