4agze supercharged engine

T

tdo4starlet

just woundering how good the 4agze supercharged engine if there strong ,and are they easy to put into starlets at all, and if so would the 80 starlets or the 90 starlet be the best for the mod,,,any input would be great...

turbojim

Lifer
from wat i no lad they are the same as the straight 4age love doin bearings ha but it depends on if your lucky to get a decent one or not and how you drive it

Chris@CCM

Member +
4agze are a cracking engine imo im pritty sure the stock pistons are forged in them but not 100% there not easy to put in a starlet tho

dont want to turn u off dude.....but it may not be worth the hassle

for the $ involved, the cost benefit analysis does not really come out favorably UNLESS u can do most/all the work yourself or get it done free

4ages have been put into all forms of starlets/glanzas before,,,,and they usually are not overly faster than a 4efte running higher boost levels

now the 4agze is a strong engine.....but u may also want to think or turboing this engine instead of the super charger route....as several 4agze owners do.........which is an additonal costs

when doing these conversions, u have to consider things like engine orientation/position/angle, mount fabrication, axles, chassis reinforcement if necessary, harness, gearbox, LOT of custom stuff, etc

i think spi from jamaica runs a 4a turbo engine in an ep70 shell now.....making big power....and a few guys here have put 4ages in ep82 shells

all this really depends on what u are after

AGAIN,,, not trying to discourage u,,,,BUT make u aware of some issues which will come up

Chris@CCM

Member +
ooooo wouldnt mind a levin then!

i know someone who turboed his ae92, i was planning on doing mine untill it became too much of a rusk bucket!
mate of mine had a turbo ae82 pixs on hear some were using a 1.8 bottem end 4age head and 4agze pistons o and a t3 off a cosi gos really well

T

tdo4starlet

ya i will think about it any way the engine and lsd box for 500 euros nice and cheap aswell as the front shafts and discs braking system might aswell get it ,,,picking it up tomorrow moring cheap>>>>

Ted

Member +
mate if you dont get everything else with that engine it could be a complete nightmare, inlet mani and all sensors, complete loom etc

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Take a look at the current issue of Retro Cars, and you'll see what you can get when you add a KP61 to a 4AGZE, and then add on a turbo... ;)

T

tdo4starlet

what about the bottom end if forged engine are they interchanable with 4efte or no ,,or is the some parts the same with the two engine,,i would like to get some info on it,,,id like to do the build just to try something different any links,,for such a build

Harvey

Member +
Ill try and cover a few things...

Goran is right, on the whole its better/lot easier to stay 4/5efte rtaher then a 4A.

4AGZE wont see over about 190bhp with the stock SC12 supercharger. You would need to turbo it or maybe a bigger superchrger.

As for fitment. You would want to ditch the E series gearbox it would come with and use a C type. This would mean you could use a starlet gearbox (with 4A bell housing) or get a corolla/ mr2 C52 gearbox. That way you could make use of the gearbox mounts and i think the centre mount just leaving the cambelt cover engine mount to fabricate.

This is where the problem comes in though - the 4AGE will NOT physically fit into that space!! From a few rough meausrements i took you would have to cut the chassis leg there and then reweld it some stiffeners. So its not a easy fit.

Chris - yeah i think the 4agze pistons are supposed to be semi - forged. Early ones were 8.0:1 CR later on it was 8.9:1 IIRC.

T

tdo4starlet

its seems a waste really even the bottom end not good for a swap by the looks of it

dupri

Fresh Recruit
the 4agze are semi forge they can take abuse jus need to upgrade the intake manifold they have very high rpm range. they are alsio better than the new one they tends to have valve float problem due to the 20v

Slinn

Member +
I know a lad who got a supercharged levin and his has never missed a beat...he has also been known to give quite a bit of shit but again he does the right things.....service regular letting it warm etc etc so im guessin if you take care of them they would be a solid engine..

heine

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys, I have an EP82 with a 4AGZE, and I can tell you it's not an easy, cheap conversion. For one, space is so tight, it'd be nearly impossible to fit that motor with the supercharger in place, and then clearance on the sides is so small that to change the alternator belt, I have to drop the engine by about 5", and move it over just to get the belt off the pulleys....

That said, the formula is perfect, my Starlet weighs in at 720Kg, and makes stupid power out of the turboed 4AGZE.
A few notes on this conversion: no power steering pump...No Space! No air-con...No Space! I had to fit a remote mount oil filter, because of the positioning of the turbo / headers, not enough space to leave the oilfilter in the standard location.

I'll get some pics to post up, we're just finishing off a rebuild, the motor will now handle up to 3 bar of boost, thanks to some custom pistons, two banks of injectors, 4" straight through exhaust, new custom intake plenum, T3/T4 turbo, Turbonetics Evolution wastegate, front-mount cooler, and a few other bits.