4efe and 4efte head differences?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have a 4efe head that came off my 4wd starlet. its in good nick and i want to fit it to my 4efte before i put it in the car.

what are the differences between them? is it just the cams, or is there a bit more too it than that?

oh boy
this is a hard one
over the years there has been a lot of talk on this
seems that some things are questionable - cams, valve springs, intake and exhaust port size and how they line up, then there were some claiming diferences between the DIS vs non-dis heads

some 4efe had a lower rev limit, so the springs may well be different....who knows??

hopefully JAY and the others can provide some facts for you

Rob H

Member +
I just been part number checking a 1999n/a and a 1999 turbo on toyodiy it looks like the head is the same, valves, valve seats and the springs but there is more than one part number for the cams and non of the are the same! and there the bit I thought where the same!

dac69er

Super Moderator
well, i have all the internal parts like the cams and springs etc from the 4efte head, its just that that head has been cracked and repaired and obviously the best bet would be to fit the spot on 4efe head.

anyone else confirm any of this???

Rob H

Member +
if you have a look on toyodiy the part number for the head is 11101-19436 head sub-assembly for the 4efe and its the same for the 4efte so if your swapping every thing over then it will be the same head!

Rob H

Member +
if the two parts have the same part number I would say they should be exactly the same if they where a number out they would be some differences but as the numbers are the same well it says it all for me! and as I am building a TD05 4efe I have looked into this quite a lot

Texx

Super Moderator
AFAIK the cylinder head, camshafts and valves should be the same and all EP8# 4E-FE's and 4E-FTE's should have the same valve springs.

Any 4E-FE's fitted to the below models will have different valve springs than those fitted to the 4E-FTE:

valvespring2.png

If your EP85 was built between 12/1989 - 09/1994 then the complete cylinder head assembly should be identical to a 4E-FTE from an EP82 GT.

dac69er

Super Moderator
brilliant info. mine is a 95, so could be just within that bracket, but could also be just outside of it too :(

im suprised that even the camshafts are the same????

i think i may just use the bare head, but replace the internal parts from the 4efte just to be 100% sure. the cams need to come out to remove the head anyway

Rob H

Member +
I would reshim the head wether or not you use the same buckets or not as every thing wears including the end of the valves so its all ways best practice to at least check them.

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah. will definitely check them after its all refitted. no point doing all that and then having bad clearances.

ep71turbo

Member +
I jus mounted my 4efe head only thing I did do was change the valve springs I used it from my old fte head since the springs in the fte head is a bit stiffer and the fe head... And it works brilliantly

H_D

Member +
did a head job on my car abt a year ago i belive the replacement head was off a 4efe as it had an extra water passage where the inlet sits, i used the cams of my 4efte head and go it re-shimmed and also had it inspected by engineers who advised it will run perfectly, its been running 1.2bar with no issues what so ever

bucketep91

Member +
im in the same boat as you duncan, the head has cracked on my 4efte for my ep95, i was planning on using the 4efe head from mines too. any1 got a step by step guide on what needs to be done?

Rob H

Member +
all you need to do is use the valve springs and the cams out of the turbo head and it will be fine I am using a 4efe head on mine but I have different cams and cruise valve springs in mine. The only other difference is there is some extra water ways in the turbo head you can drill them out in the efe head but there is no point as most gaskets are not open for them and the machine shop I used said it would be better with out them as it will make the head that bit stronger.

MiguelAtt133

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys, I have recently bought a 4efte, the cylinder head does not have the water port that goes to the intake exactly inter the intake port, does that mean that the cylinder head is of the 4efe?thanks a lot

Jay

Admin
No, the waterway is present on earlier 4EFTE heads. You may find yours is one of the later engines that did away with the issue, possibly from August 1994 onwards.

Welcome aboard btw,

Jay