4efe E11 corolla swap to 1.6l 3zz?

Emil Grettir

Member +
I have a 1998 3 door corolla with a stock 4efe engine and my friend is giving me a 1.6l 3zz-fe engine and im wondering if anyone has done it before on this thread and if there is anything other than a engine, Ecu and a gearbox that will be needed to do this swap

Jay

Admin
I'm not going to lie but I had to look up a 3zz to see what it was, haven't heard of anyone using one as a donor engine locally.

Initial thoughts are that it would be a LOT of work for 20 horsepower. You could possibly gain that with a few bolt ons and some management with the 4efe.

I have a 1zz mr2 and wouldn't even consider it a worthwhile option either but it depends on your own skill set and requirements.

Emil Grettir

Member +
The reason im going for this swap is because its 30-40hp more on a stock motor and im going to turbo it and the 3zz can handle a turbo better than a 4efe

SKINY

Lifer
A whole lot of bother when you could just forge and turbo your 4efe
And the lack of space ot the rear of the 3zz for turbo activity would be very limited.
A mate turbo,d his 1zz140 g7 celica and the clearance In places is nearly next to none
Wouldn't be so sure about the 3zz handling boost better, after all its an oil burner like the 1zz
:)

Emil Grettir

Member +
A whole lot of bother when you could just forge and turbo your 4efe
And the lack of space ot the rear of the 3zz for turbo activity would be very limited.
A mate turbo,d his 1zz140 g7 celica and the clearance In places is nearly next to none
Wouldn't be so sure about the 3zz handling boost better, after all its an oil burner like the 1zz
:)
Yeah i know about the space problem with the zz but i most likely will just make my own headers and just have the turbo a bit higher than normal and worst case scenario the top of the turbo will just stick out of the hood, and im going to have a side fender exit exhaust

aubreygil

Member +
The reason im going for this swap is because its 30-40hp more on a stock motor and im going to turbo it and the 3zz can handle a turbo better than a 4efe
As jay mentioned.. 20 bhp
4efe 85bhp.. 1.6 is 109bhp is it?
Can't see an increase of 40bhp there from just the swap alone... Turbo the 4efe or the option I chose for my G6 corolla is to swap in a 4efte if you want those kind of gains.. you can tdo4 the glanza/GT or so much more and there's loads of info on here for that kind of build.
Whatever you choose have fun

Emil Grettir

Member +
Yeah i considered just turbocharging the 4efe but the zz engines are far more popular so parts are cheaper and easier to get and there is not a single 4efte engine in iceland so i would have to import it and my plan is to basically make a 3zz 1zz hybrid, so im getting forged pistons, forged rods, forged crankshaft and forged camshaft and turbocharging that until i make something around 400-500 hp