550cc's = Thirsty Starbo?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
How much of a battering is my fuel economy gonna get after I've fit atd04, 550's and had it mapped? I'm guessing its gonna be fairly thirsty with injectors that size?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Really? How does that work? I'm not doubting you, you both know a lot more about cars than I do, but if its running higher boost, on a bigger turbo, with bigger injectors surely it has to throw more fuel in?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
If your off boost lad, she's going to need the exact same fuel as a car with stock injectors off boost.

Only when on high boost on a big turbo will u be using the capacity of the 550s

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I plan on being on boost quite a lot Spuddy! :p

Thats the tickey lol :p

Well if you running alot of boost with a large turbo then yes she'll drink it. I remember putting 5 litres in once to do some testing on new tyres and it lasted about 15 miles lol!!!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I get about 200miles to a tank with 550's on a TD04 set to high boost constantly, thats even with town driving.

GP82

Member +
Like already said, when the 550's are tuned for part throttle/traffic driving, they will be good on fuel consumption all the way until positive pressure. The only problem i have seen with big fuel system's is the higher flowing fuel pump that is required.

As it pumps at a higher flow, more fuel, that is not used, will get returned to the tank via return line and when your low on fuel (5 litres) it's poss the car can die so best not to let the car run on low fuel. + too big a fuel system can also add some heat to the fuel as it cycles the fuel system subtracting the preformance out the fuel.

sx_turbo

Lifer
Really? How does that work? I'm not doubting you, you both know a lot more about cars than I do, but if its running higher boost, on a bigger turbo, with bigger injectors surely it has to throw more fuel in?

the car is tuned to a/f targets,

when off boost the car isnt put under any more load than standard, so mpg will be almost identical.

when on boost though it is different, and the fuel consumption will go up considerably depending on spec, but this would only really be noticeable on track.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Now it all makes sense. Just because the injectors are bigger doesn't mean they are constanly supplying a massive amount of fuel right? So off boost driving I will be getting the same sort of economy as I would with stock injectors. Its only on boost that the capacity of the bigger injectors comes in to play and delivers more fuel to match the higher boost levels. Is that right?

sx_turbo

Lifer
you need to make sure the tuner is good at his job though, there is lots and lots of monkey tuners out there, majority of tuners for some reason dont tune for cruising, and just do the full throttle load, and some times even do that badly.

corofin12345

Member +
hi guys.. just joined up.. ive bought a 96 glanza with 98 engine fitted. its running a td04 turbo on 1.5 boost.. yes 1.5.. ive no boost controller only the high and low turbo switch.. is there any way i can turn the boost down manually as i dont want 2 blow the big end

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
hi guys.. just joined up.. ive bought a 96 glanza with 98 engine fitted. its running a td04 turbo on 1.5 boost.. yes 1.5.. ive no boost controller only the high and low turbo switch.. is there any way i can turn the boost down manually as i dont want 2 blow the big end

From the actuator mate by turning it down is your best bet if u dont have a boost controller.

Impreza_dan

Member +
believe it or not no, if its mapped right. The bigger injectors will have so much less work to do. 550s are a little too large anyway unless ur wanting circa 400 horse.
I ran 740cc injectors on my impreza and once mapped it was mroe economical that with the standard 440ccs.