747 - Forty years old - In pictures

gv1.3

Admin
some cracking pics and facts there. They have been in operation now for a very long time and if it wasnt for that ground crash when two of them hit each other on a fog bound runway in the canaries they would probably have one of the best safety records of any plane.

Ive only ever flown on a jumbo one time and that was before Aer Lingus moved to A330's for their transatlantic routes. It was so smooth at takeoff and landing... it felt totally effortless.

I remember when I was working outside near Dublin airport and one of these came in to land and flew overhead really low... they are a sight to behold.

gv1.3

Admin
Watched this recently and thought it was very good. Its about the conception, design, build, testing, marketing and first sale of the boeing 777

It is in 5 parts but is a very interesting watch and particularly for anyone that thinks "those things are dangerous and just thrown together..." you will be impressed by the sheer scale of the build and the amount of testing that goes in to it.

Here is the first part the rest will be listed beside it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3551731641323350192&hl=en

gv1.3

Admin
i watched that 2 dylan and thought it was very interesting myself.

lol... we are both probably a bit sad then hehe :)
I thought it was great how they show you everything even when things fail etc right up to the point where they hand over the keys to the first customer... well worth a watch.

Dar81

Lifer
lol... we are both probably a bit sad then hehe :)
I thought it was great how they show you everything even when things fail etc right up to the point where they hand over the keys to the first customer... well worth a watch.

I watched that a while ago too :)

Very interesting stuff..

I've never been on a 747.. would love to go on one..

Aer Lingus got some mileage out of theirs.. They had it for 25 years and finally retired it in the mid 90's!.. Ran the boll!x out of it, they did..

gv1.3

Admin
if they retired it in the mid 90s it must have been some other airline I was on one... I flew to boston with air france from Paris... do they use them still? Or might have been delta from Dublin to Atlanta... it would have been early last year Id say.

Dar81

Lifer
Maybe it wasn't in the mid 90's.. it might have been later.. all i know is they got every pennies worth out of it..

As far as I know, all the major airlines, like Air France, Virgin & British Airways, still use them.. Aer Lingus are a shower of hungry animals and wouldn't replace their one..

Last edited:

basketash

Member +
nice to see some guys here have similar interest to me i use to build trent 500 and 700 engine which are found on many boeings my dad was the guy who accreditied the engines safe to fly on all these big boeings. Even the new dreamliner im sat looking at a half built trent 500 now lol

gv1.3

Admin
haha thats cool. I was looking at them strapping one of the 777 engines in that documentary to a 747 and it was missfiring all over the place and the test pilot landed and was calm as anything.

Dar81

Lifer
There some engines.. so so powerful..

I watched that doc a few months ago but isn't that the one where they show the desctruction of an engine as part of the safety test by firing something at the fan blade to simiulate a bird strike.. the point of the test (and destruction of a perfectly good engine) was to show that the engine wouldn't blow up, despite the fragments of the smashed fanblade spilling backinto the engine.. I'm sure it was the 777 doc but could be wrong

basketash

Member +
There some engines.. so so powerful..

I watched that doc a few months ago but isn't that the one where they show the desctruction of an engine as part of the safety test by firing something at the fan blade to simiulate a bird strike.. the point of the test (and destruction of a perfectly good engine) was to show that the engine wouldn't blow up, despite the fragments of the smashed fanblade spilling backinto the engine.. I'm sure it was the 777 doc but could be wrong

the test was conducted to show that the engine can contain a blade off which is where a fan balde breaks away and trys to go through the engine but the fancases are raped in kevlar which take all the force and slows the momentum of the blade down i've been involved in doing these sort of test when i was a appo

gv1.3

Admin
yeah it is in that documentary. They fix a small explosive charge to one of the blades and blow it off. It passes the test as the engine casing holds the flying material but they are not happy with how out of shape it gets so they change the specifications.

They also say in the documentary that the engines represent roughly 30% of the cost of the aircraft!

Derek

Lifer
One word for these planes is EPIC. The sheer size of them is mindblowing standing next to one makes you feel like an ant and boggles the mind as to how they get off the ground.