96 glanza fan trouble HELP!!!

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
hello guys
i have a 96 black glanza and it has been going great, untill oneday i pulled in got petrol and when i took off again the car started to overheat! i realised that none on the fans mounted on the radiator where coming on! i switched the relays about and the fan powered on for 5 secs and powered off again! since then i have switched the relays and this has done nothing! i ran a lead from the battery to both fans and both powered on so the fans are working fine! i dont know what to do ! also now when ever i turn the car on it idels fine for a few mineutes then the idel rises to 2,000 rpm then drops to 1,000 and up and down and up and down! have tried to turn the aircon on and this fan wont come on either! please help guys thanks!
wayne

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
no all the air coming through is cold! if i drive the temp hand shots up and the coolant starts to bubble outa the coolant resivour in the engine bay!

AdamB

Member +
As said, could be the thermostat, they get stuck on the odd occasion, try that first as its the cheapest option. You could just take the stat out and put it in a mug of boiling water and see if it opens.

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
hey i dont think its the head gasget! ive had no lose of presure and also there has been no oil present in the radiator! how can i check the thermostat? where do i find it? can u give me a detail;ed guide please' thanks

corofin12345

Member +
the thermostat is located at the right hand side of the engine just above gearbox.. if you follow the bottom hose off the rad it will lead to the thermostat housing.. 2 nuts hold on the housing and ull see a electrical connector on the housing also... you will loose coolant putting in new one so top up after... thermostat will be under 12 euro.. no sealant required, the thermostat has a rubber around it that seals it

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
hey corofin, checked the thermostat and to my joy it wasnt working, changed 11 euro, and no more over heating car is sitting at the halfway mark between cold and hot and thats after a good boosting. but alas my fans are still not comming on! its not affecting the car temp so im not worried that much but wud like to have them fixed! also when ever im accelerating and coming into phase 1 of boost there is a loud clicking from the turbo but disapears when i start to boost any ideas what the cause cud be?
thanks wayne

corofin12345

Member +
did ya let the car heat up at idle for some time?? if you disconnect the connector from thermostat housing and earth it to the car with a piece of wire or something, the fan should come on.. just turn on ignition but dont switch on car.. try that first and ill go from there

Last edited:

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
yeah i left the car ideling for a long time and took it a good run but the fans never came on! but the temp wasnt over the half way mark! went out disconnected the wire earthed it and fans have come on first time! whats the next move o might one :)

corofin12345

Member +
fan sensor/switch by the sound of things so.. (the one at thermostat housing)... they dont normally fail tho.. may be worth replacing it with one from another 96/97 glanza just to see.. if the problem is still there, your water pump may be failing..

Last edited:

elitechef

Fresh Recruit
u dont know where i cud get one? so hard to find parts for it in donegal! have u any ideas about the clicking from the turbo could be? also do u know are the springs interchangable between the 95 corolla with the glanza ones?

corofin12345

Member +
no sure abou the springs tbh... you sure the clicking is from the turbo?? does it happen when you rev it in neutral?? get onto johnny c on here, he might have one.. it may not be the fault tho.. worth trying anyway or even borrow one for a half an hour