A Cautionary Tale

Jay

Admin
Greetings folks, I thought I'd share a tale of woe and misfortune stemming from a sale over on UKSC that I got involved in. I am a magnet for such things lol.

Hopefully it will make some of you more aware when buying used goods from other site members and highlight the pitfalls we all face. Currently I am not in name/shame mode, that blessing is reserved for the poor soul who suffered the misfortune. He can post it as he sees fit, all I'm here to do is provide details and I shall get on with doing just that.

We start our story with young James seeing some Buddyclub coilovers mentioned on a thread. The seller (From this point I shall refer to him as Delboy for handiness) had mentioned one of the rear shocks was leaking but otherwise it was an easy fix. I'll pause to let everyone perform a search for 'buddy club coilovers' on UKSC now.

----------------​

Anyways, James texted me and told me they were on the way from Delboy and arranged to leave his GT down to have them fitted. Reckoned he'd be able to send the leaking one away to get repaired eventually but wanted to see how they performed in the meantime. Low and behold I get a GT on the driveway with a big box of coilovers in the back seat. Happy days you may be thinking but those are shortlived.

I place his GT in the garage. I open the box and find a set of Buddyclub Junior Spec coilovers. This is about the time it goes a bit off key. I find not one but two very obviously leaking rear shocks. I have pics for your viewing displeasure:

spoliers017.jpg

spoliers018.jpg

spoliers019.jpg

Now that made me question Delboy's eyesight more than anything. They are quite obviously leaking heavily, one is as bad as the other. Given the fact the springs were rattling about loose I'm actually not surprised. Anyone with half a head knows that you dont adjust ride height by loosening the springs on these units.

By now I'm questioning the guy's brainpower but undeterred I proceed to examine the front coilovers and this is where we find the scary bit of our illfated excursion in online purchasing. The bracket on one of the front coilovers is bent. I'm not saying it looks queer or unusually happy, it's twisted out of shape. Again I provide pics of my findings.

spoliers014.jpg

spoliers015.jpg

spoliers016.jpg

spoliers020.jpg

biffy004.jpg

biffy005.jpg

Now. After informing a rather crestfallen James about the damage he is told by Delboy that they were fine before postage and they must have been damaged in transit. Anyone who has ever had to straighten one of these brackets will undoubtedly confirm how much force is required to move one, nevermind both so unless the box is damaged we can rule that out yes? Pics of the box (easy Sparky, different type of box dude..)

biffy001.jpg

biffy002.jpg

biffy003.jpg

So no damage to the cardboard box then. That kinda places the damage before postage and shifts the onus back onto Delboy, is that a fair assumption?

I'll add that to get both brackets damaged in such a uniform manner they must have been bolted to a hub at the time of impact. Hang on whilst I prove that theory with a spare hub I prepared earlier.

biffy006.jpg

biffy007.jpg

biffy008.jpg

biffy009.jpg

biffy010.jpg

biffy011.jpg

biffy012.jpg

In my own opinion this suspension is crashdamaged prior to shipping and seeing as Delboy is currently asking in the Wanted Section for a hub and bearing you can see the logical path my mind is following with all this.

This does not look like a simple mistake. It actually looks quite deliberate and callous. Please be aware that there are such people operating on the forums. Again, I have not named names but have provided clues for any Poirot fans amongst you.

There is one final sting in the tale (deliberate wordplay). James made the mistake of sending his payment as a gift. I've seen more and more of this online recently and it worries me. Make sure you are within driving distance of anyone you gift money to. It reduces the chances of being ripped off incredibly. James is now left with a set of useless coilovers and out of pocket. Such a simple mistake but it left him with little comeback.

So, what conclusions can we draw from today's lesson folks?

1) Used coilovers are a serious gamble when buying online. Any fuckwit can mess them up with dumbass mistakes.
2) Always inspect the goods before signing for them.
3) Never send payment as a gift.
4) Stick with trusted sellers with good feedback.
5) If you ever meet James buy him a pint, it might help cheer him up.

I would encourage you all to look out for each other by following the forum guidelines on buying. They aren't there for decoration and this is what can happen when it goes wrong.

Naturally if Delboy sees this you can contact me directly with any problems you may have.

Take care,

Jay

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Sickening to see this but it happens all too often, the whole it was damaged in the post thing gets thrown around all too often.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
It is such a shame to see this and i hope he gets it sorted...

Like said i use to pay some things as a "gift" but after sending some one £80 and not getting my parts i realised what a mistake i hade made...

I did how ever get my money back but was a 5month struggle...

corofin12345

Member +
its sad to see but there is scum out there that are put on this earth to make decent peoples lives a misery... in this case nothing can be done tho but if it was me id get my money back one way or the other...! as jay said, never send money through paypal as a gift and if at all possible, source the item/items close to you so you can look at them before parting with your hard earned cash... it takes a low life to do shit like this!

kellygt

Member +
Thats really hard luck I hope it will be resolved fairly or the sellers bad mouthed so much that he'll never be able to sell anything ever again the dirty scum bag it's things like this that mess it up for the rest of us unfortunately

whiteglanzav

Member +
oh dear cant believe someone would actually sell something like that and be stupid enough to think that its going to go unnoticed ...

SupaStu

Member +
Theres some real wankers out there, nothing surprises me any more. Thank fuck I live NI and can get to any one in around an hour and a bit for parts :)

I hope he didn't pay hundreds for them? Cash is hard enough to find at the moment without this happening to someone. People that sell shite like this are cowards, no balls to say the truth, and never offer a refund for their dishonestly.

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
hate this mate .sickens me to the stomach...however can i ask what has happend to these coiloers jay?may be intrested as im a wizz at refurb:p

Jay

Admin
Seller is ignoring all sense and reason so I'll be posting his name, address, phone number and any other details up shortly unless he makes contact and some sort of resolution is reached.

They stand James £225 and are lying in the corner of the workshop.

Jay

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
well if thats the attitude he had , i would hav had the info up from the start.is the seller an active member on here or is it only uksc?well mate if james cant get his money point him in my direction.i may be intrested in taking these off his hands if he wants:)

darren

Wink

Fresh Recruit
I drove all the way up to Bradford to collect a door for my old starbo, after my mate reversed into it in a skip truck. The guy on the phone said it was in perfect condition. When i arrived it was scratched, pitted and generally fooked!