A little oil coming out of breather on rocker cover.

turbostar

Member +
since fitting my hybrid turbo, running at about 0.8bar i get a little oil out the rocker cover breather & on to the underside of the bonnet is this normal?

TurboDave

Member +
since fitting my hybrid turbo, running at about 0.8bar i get a little oil out the rocker cover breather & on to the underside of the bonnet is this normal?

The extra airflow from the hybrid is most probably causing blow-by past the piston rings and pressurising the crankcase which will cause oil to be thrown out of the breather.

whiteglanzav

Member +
if you have been doin sum harddrivin then oil can come out the breather this is quite normal but depends how much ur talkin

turbostar

Member +
ok yer its not load its normally after iv been giving it some, thers a thin coat on the under side of the bonnet, thats all.

nexia201

Member +
I wouldnt be pleased with any oil coming out of there at all , i would do a comp test to put my mind at rest if i were you and if everything is ok then you can add another breather in the topcover for the added flow from the turbo to solve your problem

turbostar

Member +
I wouldnt be pleased with any oil coming out of there at all , i would do a comp test to put my mind at rest if i were you and if everything is ok then you can add another breather in the topcover for the added flow from the turbo to solve your problem

ok add another breather?? how lol

billybob

Untrusted Seller
yes just drill out the cover and put a breather on it that should sort it bigger turbo more pressure so extra breather will help sort it for you,and cacth can if you dont have one

nexia201

Member +
yes just drill out the cover and put a breather on it that should sort it bigger turbo more pressure so extra breather will help sort it for you,and cacth can if you dont have one

exactly we have some here with 4 breathers in the topcover ! i bet i i ask them how much boost they are running they would say only 1bar :p

same problem

hi all im new to the site and i stumbled across this thread and im havin the same problem but much worse can anyone help plz. There is oil and white smoke coming out of my rocker cover filter and also a grey oily substance coming out of my bov the car runs abit rough on idle so i did a compresson test

cylinder no1 was 170psi
no2 160psi
no3 110psi
no4 170psi

i did hear a hissing sound from the inlet manifold so could this be rings or valves or whatever your help would be great
also just had the headgasket done.

cheers

Last edited:

mole76

Member +
hi all im new to the site and i stumbled across this thread and im havin the same problem but much worse can anyone help plz. There is oil and white smoke coming out of my rocker cover filter and also a grey oily substance coming out of my bov the car runs abit rough on idle so i did a compresson test

cylinder no1 was 170psi
no2 160psi
no3 110psi
no4 170psi

i did hear a hissing sound from the inlet manifold so could this be rings or valves or whatever your help would be great
also just had the headgasket done.

cheers

I had same kind of problem mate but with No1 piston, it had gone bye bye:(

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Question?

Can i ask a question while we are on the subject?

If one were to over fill the car with oil, is it possible for the unwanted/extra oil to escape out of the catch can/breather?

mole76

Member +
possibly your piston is f@cked, I'm only going on my experience mate as im not a mechanic. I would post a new thread with this, as im sure the peps on hear would be more than willing to offer their expert knowledge:)