abs electrical drawing ?? abs fault with front sensor

rossigvara

Member +
hi guys , im currently stuck with my car on an m.o.t fail because the abs light is on . done fault diagnostic and got fault code saying front left wheel sensor was faulty , checked the abs shaft and sensor , cleaned up and re-assembled cleared fault from memory and raod tested . the same fault came up again with the abs light staying on .
tested the sensors resistance and got the same 1556 ohm reading as the right hand side sensor .:confused:
have now come to the point where the wiring needs to be traced back to the abs modulator and tested , managed to buzz out the green wire going to the modulator but cant get the red to buzz out .
has anyone got expierence in this kind of fault or have drawings for it ??

help would be appreciated , thanks

leeroyV

Member +
just had to replace my front right as i had abs light on and fault code pointed to front right. after replacing the sensor (found a tiny nik in wire) the fault code still persisted so i did 2 quick road runs and reset by 8 pumps on brake pedal several times etc and finally i got the abs light on constant with a slight regular flash then one more reset and road run and it cleared...

not sure if that helped at all.

rossigvara

Member +
tried reseting and driving twice but i never actually drove more than 2 x miles , does it require longer to register in the abs ecu ??

did you do the same test as i described above leeroyV or did you just replace the sensor ?? im looking at getting a new abs sensor for £ 118 but wont to be sure im not part swapping and diagnosing the problem 100% lol , got 8 days left before m.o.t repair time runs out lol , may just drop a match in the car and run lmao , this abs fault is making me rage against the machine lol

Texx

Super Moderator
speedsensorcircuit1.png

inspectionprocedure1.png

inspectionprocedure2.png

speedsensorsignalcheck1.png

speedsensorsignalcheck2.png

absecupinout.png

sensorwiringdiagram.png

leeroyV

Member +
tried reseting and driving twice but i never actually drove more than 2 x miles , does it require longer to register in the abs ecu ??

did you do the same test as i described above leeroyV or did you just replace the sensor ?? im looking at getting a new abs sensor for £ 118 but wont to be sure im not part swapping and diagnosing the problem 100% lol , got 8 days left before m.o.t repair time runs out lol , may just drop a match in the car and run lmao , this abs fault is making me rage against the machine lol

i just had fault code 31 (front right sensor) so i got a cheap 2nd hand working sensor to fit. didn't think it had solved it at first but as i say after alot of faffing round resetting etc it cleared the code. i also removed the abs fuse. i only found the slight nik in the wire once emoved as it was on the back of the wire but i didn't 'test' the sensor or wiring just swapped it.

rossigvara

Member +
Texx yor a legend !!! thats exactly what i need to test thru wiring and prove correct continuity / signal path etc .... will give it a good test thru the morn and let you kno how i get on buddy , thanks ..

rossigvara

Member +
leeroyV , a tried pulling the fuses aswell but i havent driven it yet , the fault was still there after disconnecting the battery doing a virgin reset on both ecu's , but gona do further testing the morrow now i have some wiring drawings to do process elimanation . think i can put the matches away for now lol . :haha:

Texx

Super Moderator
It's taken from the '96 Tercel workshop manual, the system and components should be the same as the EP91 Starlet. As long as the shape profile of the ECU connectors match those in the diagram above, you can be 99.9% sure the ECU pinout will be the same as the Tercel. Either way the front left speed sensor will connect to the ECU via 2 of the 16 smaller terminals in the larger (26 pin) ABS ECU connector. Your only going to be probing with a multimeter, so there's no fear of causing any damage from probing the wrong terminals. The rest of the information above will be relevant to the EP91.

SupaStu

Member +
Make sure when you clean it all up, do the reset, and take it for a proper drive for a mile or so. Then check it, and run another reset. Mine took a couple of resets to clear it once I had fixed the ring.

rossigvara

Member +
Hi Texx , stripped out the dash and investigated with the diagrams you gave me , the left front wiring ( red + green ) didnt match up with the connectors and noticed a few more were the same . not sure its the same for the ep91 as the tercel as the connector looms are colour wired differently , gona get a shot of another sensor tomorrow and see if that clears it , if not am gona replace the abs ecu as a last resort , in the notes it points to it after replacing the sensor .

abs = frustration !!!! lol

at the same time im gona be driving a good few miles tomorrow and will try reseting alot more aswell , SupaStu might have the wright insight on the reset theory .

leeroyV

Member +
abs is a bloody nightmare... took mine for re mot today and abs light was off then flip me got a phone call saying front left is at fault when they was mot'ing it.... didn't find out way as i had bad reception and was cut off but im there tomorrow so more abs investigating!!! ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Texx

Super Moderator
Hi Texx , stripped out the dash and investigated with the diagrams you gave me , the left front wiring ( red + green ) didnt match up with the connectors and noticed a few more were the same . not sure its the same for the ep91 as the tercel as the connector looms are colour wired differently , gona get a shot of another sensor tomorrow and see if that clears it , if not am gona replace the abs ecu as a last resort , in the notes it points to it after replacing the sensor .

abs = frustration !!!! lol

at the same time im gona be driving a good few miles tomorrow and will try reseting alot more aswell , SupaStu might have the wright insight on the reset theory .

Ignore the wire colours, they are irrelevant, it's the terminal configuration of the ABS ECU connectors that's important. Pull the larger connector from the ECU and disconnect the wheel speed sensor, connect one of the probes from your meter to one of the terminals of the speed sensor connector, then probe each of the 16 smaller terminals in the ECU connector until you see a good continuity reading with no resistance. Then do the same with the other terminal in the speed sensor connector. If you do not get a continuity reading with no resistance for both sensor terminals then you have a wiring fault, if the readings are good for both terminals then you've either got a sensor or ECU fault.

Gilly2006

Member +
iv just spent 3 months faffing around with my abs, trying to get the codes to clear and go nowhere with it. bought a new drivers side front sensor which cost me 118 quid for nothing!!

im not a man to bodge things and i hate abs in starlets but i had no choice.... ABS light wired upto oil light and abs light goes out.
simples!

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I replaced a couple of sensors on mine too and still had faults, as has been mentioned you need drive the car for a bit - and most importantly use the brakes, to reset the system. Then disconnect the battery for a while then do the same again and I bet the fault will go.

rossigvara

Member +
Gilly how did you wire up the abs light to the oil light ?? i am gona have to do this i reckon to get thru my (m.o.t) as i need my car back on the road , bn three wks now without . i will fix the abs fault once when i get better weather lol .

wallace how long did you have to drive it before it cleared or did it clear when you were stationary ???

SupaStu

Member +
I replaced a couple of sensors on mine too and still had faults, as has been mentioned you need drive the car for a bit - and most importantly use the brakes, to reset the system. Then disconnect the battery for a while then do the same again and I bet the fault will go.

I replaced a sensor also, waste of time and money, the system needs to be driven and reset properly a few times. The system is fairly simple so the method just needs to be attempted a few times.

Gilly2006

Member +
but might i also add that if your mot has run out like mine did you can't drive the car your stuck big time cause you can't take the car for a run to clear the codes! unless you know someone who is a mechanic and has traders.