adjustable actuator

adambomb

Member +
i was thinking of getting one of these.do i need supporting mods to use it?question might be silly i dont know much about them.do they do the same thing as a boost controller?thanks lads

dan

Member +
you dont need any supporting mods to run them aslong as you set it up to .8 bar, below fuel cut. anything above that you need to look into fooling mods and also cooling mods.

Ideally you should really invest in a aftermarket manifold and the standard one is naff above standard boost and will restrict your engine and may cause damange. Alot run the actuator at .8 bar with stock mani, i did the same and had no worries. But better being safe that sorry :)

adambomb

Member +
is that all i think my boost gauge is raeding wrong so cos i thought i seen it at bout .7 or more but never really check tbh

dan

Member +
is that all i think my boost gauge is raeding wrong so cos i thought i seen it at bout .7 or more but never really check tbh

should be .6 or around that stock. What other mods do you have?

malcolmgt; said:
do you feel alot of difference in a standard gt when changing the boost from .6 to .8?

Yeah abit, i had a cat back zorst on too and it went well :) Its the most common mod people do when they first buy a gt.

Loads about it all if you search :)

Jay

Admin
In standard mode and untampered with:

High Mode

Runs .65 bar of boost offering 135ps @ 6,400rpm and 16.0kg-m of torque.

Lo Mode

Runs .40 bar of boost offering 115ps @ 6,400rpm and 14.8kg-m of torque.

(All figures taken from the original Toyota showroom brochures)

You can alter the boost level using an adjustable actuator, however caution is advised when increasing past the factory parameters. At the very least you should have access to a wideband to check air/fuel ratios. Guesswork is unsafe.

Hope that makes sense bud,

Jay

Jay

Admin
where can i get the fuel ratios checked ?

A local tuner worth his salt will have the equipment required. Worth investigating. All this playing with boost and fuelling needs to be done without blindfolds. One wrong move and BOOM!

Bye bye engine, hello repair bill.

adambomb

Member +
In standard mode and untampered with:

High Mode

Runs .65 bar of boost offering 135ps @ 6,400rpm and 16.0kg-m of torque.

Lo Mode

Runs .40 bar of boost offering 115ps @ 6,400rpm and 14.8kg-m of torque.

(All figures taken from the original Toyota showroom brochures)

You can alter the boost level using an adjustable actuator, however caution is advised when increasing past the factory parameters. At the very least you should have access to a wideband to check air/fuel ratios. Guesswork is unsafe.

Hope that makes sense bud,

Jay

yeah cheers pal.i gave the car a little blast at lunch time and the boost gauge looks to be reading past .65 it could be just a bad gauge though.what is a wideband?sorry if the questions are silly but you will never know unless you ask...thanks pal

Jay

Admin
Can you run a boost controller with standard actuator? What difference would an aftermarket actuator make?

You sure can, just watch out for loss of boost during operation. The stock actuator is in most cases a decade old. They can get lazy and tired.

yeah cheers pal.i gave the car a little blast at lunch time and the boost gauge looks to be reading past .65 it could be just a bad gauge though.what is a wideband?sorry if the questions are silly but you will never know unless you ask...thanks pal

Intake and exhaust modifications (eg. air filter and exhaust system) can offer a natural increase in boost pressure. It's one of the perks from the extra flow of the setup.

The exhaust gases contain air and fuel resulting from the combustion process in the engine. These gases can be measured with a wideband sensor. This offers an insight to how rich or lean an engine is running.

Simple engine basics : you need the right amount of air and the right amount of fuel to be ignited to make optimum power.

Here's a small guide:

Way too much fuel = Borewash (like Burwash but not as nice)
Too much fuel = loss of performance / wasted fuel
Just right = Big smiley boost-induced grin.
Too little fuel = potential engine damage / reduced engine life
Way too little fuel = BOOM! Dead engine.

As you can see a wrong mix can blow a hole in your engine and your wallet.

A fuelling run with a wideband will let you see how rich/lean your mix is and you can finetune from there.

Hahahaha Cheers For The Advice. Rep Given Even Though You Have Too Much

No worries mate, gratefully received!

nexia201

Member +
so as pay day is tomo.

which would you advise getting - an electronice boost controller or a actuator...

get them both mate as with one you wont be loosing any boost if you have a dodgy actuator (worn out) and the boost controller help you control the boost (once it go up as the new actuator will be keeping more boost in ) :p