aftermarket rpm gauge wiring?

goldenvtr

Member +
ive got a "ghetto RPM gauge" that i need to wire in, ive got it powerd up ok but ive tried the usual rpm signal output ok the ecu and it dosnt seemt o work with the rpm gauge - ive used this same signal for my emanage and the e-01 and safc2 in the past but no luck with this analog gauge.

however if i quickly hold the rpm input for the gauge onto my speaker wire it will flick up the needle so it cant be broken or am i missing somthing?

from info i found on the net itshows it needs the negative form the distributor which i think might be pin 9 on the ecu.

does anyone have one fitted and if so which ecu pinout did you wire it into?

Last edited:

goldenvtr

Member +
nope just ecu wires and ive tried 3 diffrnt pinsouts now, would i jsut feed it through to the enginebay and splice into the ignitor?

FeNder

Member +
that ignitor plug from the coil pack , one of them wires i think theyre 4 ,
the negative one , im looking for it still heh

Texx

Super Moderator
The igniter connects directly to the multiplug on the back of the gauge unit. I couldn't tell you the wire colour, but 5 minutes with a multimeter and you should be able to work out which 1 of the 5 igniter wires is the one you need.

goldenvtr

Member +
The igniter connects directly to the multiplug on the back of the gauge unit. I couldn't tell you the wire colour, but 5 minutes with a multimeter and you should be able to work out which 1 of the 5 igniter wires is the one you need.

when you say guage unit do you mean the stock speedo cluster?

ive tried these 3:

G- Distributor Crank Angle
NE Part of the IIA (Intergrated Ignition Assembly) (RPM)
G2 Distributor

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
when you say guage unit do you mean the stock speedo cluster?

ive tried these 3:

G- Distributor Crank Angle
NE Part of the IIA (Intergrated Ignition Assembly) (RPM)
G2 Distributor

The speedo cluster, gauge unit, combination meter, whatever you want to call it. You should be able to take a feed from there.

Ne is the engine speed signal, it's not really relevant to RPM in the sense of a tachometer. The ECU uses the Ne and G signals to determine crank angle for injector and ignition lookup. It calculates engine RPM itself, so doesn't have any direct engine RPM feed.

Either use the coil negative, the IGf signal or the igniter tacho signal. I think there is a pinout in the diagnostic port for the coil negative to enable the use of an external tacho.

goldenvtr

Member +
cool thanks mate appriciate the help :) ill use the ecu pinout for the igf as i can install it into the field harness, ill test it out in the diagnostic prt first though to make sure the guage is actualy working.

Texx

Super Moderator
ep91dlc.jpg

The IG- should be the coil negative. I'm not sure the IGf will work, it should in theory, but I've never tried it myself.

It may be worth PM'ing gorganl2000 to see if he actually got the RPM meter to work with his Turbosmart Eboost 2.

goldenvtr

Member +
ill drop him a pm after trying this out in the morning-got the week of work :D ill report back to see what happens with what ports ect for future refrences.

im guessing that from the other thread in your link that the rpm guages work diffrently to one that displays rpm digitally like the e-01 and the safc2

Texx

Super Moderator
The Eboost 2 specifically stated it required a square wave digital signal, with the information I've got here it seems the only square wave signal available is the IGt output signal from the ECU.

As you've got an analogue gauge, the coil negative should do the job.

goldenvtr

Member +
ok i got it working from the ig- in the diagnostic port but the igf did no work.

there dosnt seem to be an ecu pin labled ig- though?? what would be the equvilent to that

glad u got it sorted goldenvtr
and just to let u know texx....i chickened out on connecting it to my IGF as some1 else also told me it could cause interference unless i used the device mentioned in that specific tread-----which u were also skeptical of anyway:)

when i tired that IG-,,,it did not work out---just random numbers

i do know that the IG- works for rpm in the HKS turbo timer (as seen on my buddy's previous ep82)

but i'm not too bothered, as i'll be getting some microswithces and using it to activate boost according to gears.....which should be much more interesting....lolololo----traction control----kind of like the stock ep91 1st, 2nd gear restriction which i always found rather useful on the corners:cool:

and yes...texx is always handy with tons of stuff:cool:
rep added

goldenvtr

Member +
i wired it into the cluster in teh end, i took a pic of the wire i used to refrence too so ill upload that later on, should come in handy for someone oneday lol.

im trying to setup my e-01 so it boost lower between 0-70kph so that should aid traction - i got the optinal harness and you can do it through that :)

addz

Member +
Was there any more info to this as I might be fitting mine soon.

Not a novice with wires unless I know where they are lol.

Any more light on this would be good:)