alternator belt again squeeling

ktl

Member +
I changed my old belt as it was starting to squeel a tiny bit.

And now after i changed it a couple of weeks it has come back. its tentioned alright. It seems like its the rain its causing it as when i went through a puddle it did it but it normally does it when i come to a stop (when idle drops) or slow down. Even when i start the car up it does it ever so loud.

What could it actually be ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Have you re tensioned the belt since fitting? It will stretch after some use and require adjustment.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the rain will do it if you go through a deep puddle. i basically went through a flood, it squeaked a bit then stopped.

my girlfriends car is a pain in the arse though. changed the belt and it started squeaking a bit after a couple of weeks. tightened it up and now its started squeaking again. went through the same flood i did with my GT and now it squeakes pretty much all the time.

im going to tension it up again and hopefully it should stop it. i would try tightenign it again mate.

ktl

Member +
the rain will do it if you go through a deep puddle. i basically went through a flood, it squeaked a bit then stopped.

my girlfriends car is a pain in the arse though. changed the belt and it started squeaking a bit after a couple of weeks. tightened it up and now its started squeaking again. went through the same flood i did with my GT and now it squeakes pretty much all the time.

im going to tension it up again and hopefully it should stop it. i would try tightenign it again mate.

Thats exactly what it does.

Could be the rain as it was first time i took it out today in the rain and it started doing it and then it got louder and louder as i come to stops. its soo embarasing.

The pulleys seemed fine.

Gilly2006

Member +
mines be driving me crackers!! can't hae the heater on at all when i have main beam on! need to investigate it, sometimes it been embarasing! sometimes the heater gets turned off and then have to put the lights on low beam to flippin shut it up!!

davehart

Member +
mines be driving me crackers!! can't hae the heater on at all when i have main beam on! need to investigate it, sometimes it been embarasing! sometimes the heater gets turned off and then have to put the lights on low beam to flippin shut it up!!

I have the same problem,allthougn I've not changed mine yet. Been waiting for the snow to clear the drive so I can get it on the jacks and do it.

Its only when my heaters are on though it lets rip on low revs, which with the past few weeks of weather has been something of an irritent.

danturbo4311

Member +
KTL have you still got the plastic dirt gaurds fitted underneath because if your not using them the rain can get on the belts & make them squeel.

GT_Irl

Member +
how do you re-tension them guys? mines squeeling like a pig of late!! Still have my splash guards though so its not that

dac69er

Super Moderator
get under the car, undo the pinch bolt that holds the alternator (14mm), undo the guide bolt thats above the alternator (12mm).

now either pull down on the alternator, or if this isnt enough get someone to push down on it from above. with tension on it do up the 12mm guide bolt and the pinch bolt and its done

ktl

Member +
Its still doing it. And when it does squeek i re tention it. it will go away for a week or 2 and comes back.

dac69er

Super Moderator
remove it. clean the pulleys that it runs on really well and make sure they are oil and grease free.

fit a new belt and tension. that should do the trick