Any internet game players? Need help!

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I have a wireless network at home and I've made the IP static (after lots of reading and swearing) and tried to port forword but I can't login to the game I'm trying to play. Don't know if thats gonna make any sense or not, I'm not the most computer gifted person in the world.

Has anyone else ever had trouble connecting to a games server and how do you over come it?

Cheers for the help,
Hutch.

Hows it going Hutch??
Have you spoken to the owner of the server to check if there are any issues with the server lately or any compatibility issues with their server. You sound like you have it setup right. Also have you tried any other game servers to see if they work?? Also have you tried running it through the ethernet cable into the router see if that helps.
Also as a final note there is also a setting in the router to setup internet gaming and on some router you can select the game server as they have the most popular ones saved.
Will need a few more details as what game your trying to play, what router do you have, security centre, firewall, operating system, browser.
Thanks Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Cheers Christy, I haven't spoken to the company, I know my login details are correct and the server is running coz I login at my mates house all the time.

I haven't tried any other games mate, haven't got any! :( As for running the ethernet cable to the computer I can, the computer is in a different room, hence the wireless.

Its a sagem router I have and I've opened the settings (by typing its IP into the address bar) but I can't see anything about internet gaming.

Ok mate the game is Eve, its a sagem router, I have McAfee and windows firewall (eve is in the permissions of both), my OS is XP and I use firefox.

Do you know of any easy to use port forwarding programs? I found a guide on the net but it confuses the shit out of me!

When on the router settings, go under security, then services which should have an option for add a service. Heres a link which explains how to do it on a sagem router but for settings up bitcomet:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/index.php?news=1199

Maybe different in your router depending on the model of router but will be roughly the same. Does your mate play this game also?? Do you knwo anyone with laptop that way you can test their laptop on your router which will let you know if its the router or your computer and can work from there.
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
My mate uses a laptop to play it. Can I just take my router round and try playing it at his but thru my router? I'll check the link out, cheers mate.

Whys nothing ever easy! :flame:

LOL aye its never easy especially online gaming.
Naw other way about bring his laptop round to your house and plug into the try and see if you can play the game on your router with his laptop.
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ok mate, just gone thru the link and done as it says (obviously putting the right port number in), for internet gaming should it be tcp/udp, just tcp or just udp?

It down to personal preference really but I would use TCP as its more secure so the connection to your game has less chance of dropping, but UDP would be faster wouldnt say much faster, so stick with TCP.
There is a few steps you can try to get connected had a wee read up about the game, hopefully got the right game.haha.
Check this out, have you tried any of these steps yet?

http://support.eve-online.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=119

Let me know sure,
Ps is this the correct game??
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
100% sure mate. I reckon its something to do with ports, haven't got a scooby though.

Even more annoying when I was on my "borrowed" wireless connection I connected to the game twice, so apart from a different network I've got no idea whats changed??! :(

Well if you use your 'borrowed' wireless connection now does the game still work?? If so then its definitely how you have your router setup is the problem.
I would assume this game can be play on a standard ISP modem so you shouldnt have to setup the router any different, just ensure that the firewall is allowing the game, Im back in work around 5, if you want Hutch I can take control of your computer and have a look for ya. Let me know sure.
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Hey Christy. sorry mate, been away for a few days. Regards my "borrowed" connection, I only logged in on that twice, after that, the same as I'm having now. I've tried system restoring to a point before I installed EVE then reinstalled the game and tried again but nothing. If you can do something remotely that'll sort it then be my guest!

Well if you cant log on using another router then I doubt it will be a problem with your router. It must be down to how the game is installed or the settings for the game. Im off work sick so cant remotely access your computer til I get back.
See when you first set it up did you have to change any settings on your computer/router or did it work as soon as you installed??
When did this stop working and what were the last few steps ypu did before it stopped working??
Do you have any other systems you could try to run the game through just to make sure the router is fine and that its a wrong setting in your computer?
Christy

Have you tired turning off all firewalls and security centres and then try to log into the game? I know its a bit dodgy as you may get a virus but if it works with them turned off you know its the security stopping the connection and we could install a new security centre on your system that will work with the game.
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
here goes......

I installed it on my computer before I had my own wireless network, I was using someone elses unprotected network (naughty I know) and it worked, I logged on and played a couple of times then it just stopped working. I assumed that whoever owned the connection had realised and cut me off. Thats when the problems started. Since my own wireless kicked in I've system restored to before Eve was installed and reinstalled it but I'm getting the same problem.

My windows firewall and McAfee have the eve.exe file in their exceptions (I can show you a pic of my routers firewall settings for you to check if you want) so I really don't know whats going on.

Just tried a program called pingplotter and its showing that the host destination is unreachable. :confused:

Well if it worked on your neighbours router then that means that you dont have to change any settings on the router to make this game work.
I know that they are added to exceptions but would recomend turning them off just to test the connection.
You say you get destination host unreachable, ok have you tried pinging your router?? To do this go to Start/RUN/Type in CMD/ Then in the black window type in IPCONFIG/ find your default gateway usually something like 192.168.0.1/ then type in PING 192.168.0.1 now this will change for whatever your default gateway is.
Have you spoken to EVE to get them to check your account or have you tried to log into your account on your mates computer??
Ohh and windows firewall that is a bitch for stopping connections so I would turn that off.
Christy

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Tried pinging my router and everything came back fine mate, turned windows firewall off and still nothing. I@m speaking to Eve at the minute but they take ages to reply, all they've said is try using an ethernet cable but I can't do that coz a) I haven't got one and b) there's nowhere to set my pc up in the living room. :(

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
ok I just remembered my router came with an ethernet cable so I dragged everything through to the living room and connected the router directly but I'm still having the same problem. :(

Well if its still the same with the ethernet card and your security is turned off that only leaves 2 causes really either the game isnt installed right or its a problem with EVE server or something not letting your username in because it says destination host unreachable.
So I would uninstall the game completely in safe mode [F8] then install it in safe mode aswell, reboot see if that works. Failing that in the [f8] options try last known good configuration, we could also clear the startup programs to make sure there is no conflicting programs in the background, go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Startup tab and click disable all/Services tab/Tick hide all microsoft services/ then disable all. Reboot try again. If that doesnt work I say its a problem with Eve but let me know..
Christy