Any one know about KYB gear climbs?

seaside-race

Fresh Recruit
As the title, I found out these were fitted to my car tonight and know very little about them other than they are extremely stiff.

I googled them and have found 2 differing views, a few people believe they are/were the second top model of fixed damping shocks sold by KYB (japan only), only one step down from full blown fixed damping race shocks, and are a very good shock for tarmac circuits/street driving and drag racing. The other view is they are only a step up from standard shocks, and only a bit stiffer.

Anyone out there shed some more light onto them?

Jay

Admin
KYB ClimbGears are a performance shock offered alongside the Super SR and another version I can't quite put the name to at the moment. Definitely an upgrade over stock. As far as I remember there was the street version that I can't remember, a track version (Super SR's) and a Hill Climb version (Climb Gear) but I have been known to be wrong lol..

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
i dont believe you Jay. your tggt's resident starlet encyclopedia

Stu-

Member +
I found a set of these in a car we were stripping years ago.
They drove pretty well and although it could have sat a bit lower for my liking were a great setup. I couldn't find much info on them at the time either

seaside-race

Fresh Recruit
Cheers guys for the input.

I'm slightly intrigued now about these being hill climb style shocks, as they could fit into my plans nicely. As for driveability they are pretty harsh for the roads round here and I'm still recovering from a back injury so probably not the best thing to have, but they do feel good on the road keeps the car pretty level whilst cornering and doesn't allow too much weight transfer when accelerating or braking.

seaside-race

Fresh Recruit
Yeah I agree with them being very harsh, especially on our roads. Definitely more track orientated which suits me fine as I do about 6000 miles a year as I get picked up and left of at the house by the work van, and hoping that there will be alot of track action this year for the wee car.

KYB ClimbGears are a performance shock offered alongside the Super SR and another version I can't quite put the name to at the moment. Definitely an upgrade over stock. As far as I remember there was the street version that I can't remember, a track version (Super SR's) and a Hill Climb version (Climb Gear) but I have been known to be wrong lol..

Think these are the street ones

600x493-2009112600003-115.gif

Rich

Jay

Admin
Aye, I might have my titles mixed up Rich, I have a set of those blue SR Specials in the mk1. They are the 'Super SR' I mentioned. Nearly got the name right!