Anyone else had thumping sound?

Ive searched the forum but couldnt find anything related.

Basically, as im driving im hearing this feint, deep 'thumping' sound (kind of like hearing a helicopter from a distance) from the front of the car, i can almost feel it is the gas pedal.

I checked all wheels and rotors and they seem fine.

Any help would be well appreciated. I need the car to drive to work but not sure if its driveable.

Cheers!
Tomi

riko666

Member +
Sounds like the engine mounts are worn and there's something clanging from the movement of the engine - I had this and I could distinctly hear the exhaust system hitting something whenever I let off the accelerator. Try rocking your engine back and forth and check for excessive movement

Last edited:
i couldnt move the engine by hand, so will get someone to rev it tomorrow, but i dont think thats the problem as its not a clanging sound. Just a feint thumping. At first i thought it was a flat tyre or something was stuck to it.

Jay

Admin
Could just be one of your metal dustcovers catching slightly on a brake disc mate. Heard that referred to as a helicopter in the past. Just bend it back a little from the disc with a screwdriver.

Jay

corofin12345

Member +
lets just hope its not big end bearings.. rev the car when stopped and listen out for the noise... not saying it is now.. the last 2 engines i heard with big end bearings worn the noise in both were around 2800 3000 rpms

bucketep91

Member +
i fitted a decat and it lifted up my exhasut system a bit and made the exhaust knock off the underside of the car. was a pain in the ass! could check for that also.
i think if it was the big end bearings he would know