are starlet parts overpriced or is it just me?

Johnny_C

Lifer
its the rarity of stuff that causes high prices,how many power fc's appear for sale,in say,12 months for a starlet,not many!lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
bare in mind scooby parts are alot more common.

starlet parts have always been a bit expensive, especially back in the day. the genuine jdm parts seem to hold there price reasonably well, but people just dont want to spend the money alot of the time. that is why i have a load of rare parts that are just not worth selling atm :(

Was the same when i had the s13 a mines or similar ecu could be got for round 100-150 quid but there is still chaep bits for sale for the starlets. You just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Ted

Member +
just wondered how many of us are realistic these days about how much the bits are worth. and how many jam ecus for 500 quid actually sell? (could be the self learning myth being peddled to newish owners). plenty of those about.

Crazy money for them imo. People are paying big bucks for all sorts of parts then when dudes try to sell they're cars with these expensive parts they get slated for over pricing them but yet when the parts are separate they're priced good the world is mad lol. For the price some of the pfc's go for you'd get a newer standalone thats better spec'd.

Starlet prices are a fucking joke, i've moaned for well over a year about silly prices "coz its JDM" ect. all just stuck in a wee starlet bubble as i call it.Forget GTR tax, its starlet tax thats the killer lol. Look at scoobynet/sxoc/driftworks, find a boost controller on there for about £100, exact same controller would be on here for easy £150.

Rarity is bollocks aswell, starlets are as common as you get these days,plenty of parts about but just stupid high prices:holdit:

dac69er

Super Moderator
so you see more starlets than subarus about?

they are alot more common admittedly, but hardly saxo/corsa common.

i dont find generic parts priced too high when i compare them to ebay in most cases, but obviously there is the odd exception.

at the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. i wouldnt pay millions of pounds for some shitty old ming vase, but some people do.

Actually do see more starlets than corsa's and saxos round here, no joke.
As for scooby parts, i found my TD04 on ebay for £33 delivered.Ive seen 1's on here for £70+ ,why?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i could never find one for that much. i paid £80 for one on ebay and it was fucked :( that was the cheapest one for sale on there at the time.

vw and audis are the common cars round here

Reeco

Member +
i agree with dac69er, look how many scoobies you see then look how many starlets you see( okay this may vary up and down the country) but i barley go out in the starlet without seeing a scoobie, i dont think ive ever seen another GT while driving mine, i think theres only about 3 commonly used starlets in swindon. and just look at any show, just the bristol and bath scooby stand at japfest this year dwarfed every other stand. and as for the "its JDM" tax, i think you pay for what you get, its been proved countless times, you go out and buy cheap shit of ebay it lasts ten minutes and you then have to go out and pay out again, how often does "JDM" gear actualy go wrong?

common cars round here are hondas, bloody honda plants just down the road :p

triple j

Member +
Starlet stuff is over priced compared to other hot hatches i have to say, a mate of mine hes a fabricator made his own stainless mani for his starlet, it cost i think around 55euro for all the stainless bends ect, i picked them up myself for him in kells co meath, it took him a few hours to make up tricky work and takes good hands but at the end of the day 55euro is all it cost him for a good mani that sells for 200 250 if your lucky.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I agree on both parts. Especially the PFC and Commander as it was never designed with the Starlet in mind.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Starlet stuff is over priced compared to other hot hatches i have to say, a mate of mine hes a fabricator made his own stainless mani for his starlet, it cost i think around 55euro for all the stainless bends ect, i picked them up myself for him in kells co meath, it took him a few hours to make up tricky work and takes good hands but at the end of the day 55euro is all it cost him for a good mani that sells for 200 250 if your lucky.

but if you had to pay a company to make a stainless manifold you would be paying alot in the uk due to labour prices being so high. its fine if you can make one, and i have made many things myself, but if everyone could make and do everything items and services would be either really cheap or non existent.

triple j

Member +
55euro which is 45pound is the cost of good quality materials for a stainless mani, mild steel cost much less for the materials, the labour for these hand made products is crazy i must agree 4to5 times the price of materials, how much of these could a good man bang together in a day

mrkd5916

Fresh Recruit
this may sound daft but maybe your looking at the wrong things, sometimes it worth doing your homework before jumping in to some thing, as i been quoted silly money to weld a full on cage in but i got to do the donkey work first!

Gilly2006

Member +
i must admit tho its not just ecus iv seen for low prices for other jdm cars, iv seen alot of coilovers, mainly tein and cusco *second hand mind you* for supras and skylines for silly money, 350, 300, and whenever starlet comes up its 500 at least.

triple j

Member +
this may sound daft but maybe your looking at the wrong things, sometimes it worth doing your homework before jumping in to some thing, as i been quoted silly money to weld a full on cage in but i got to do the donkey work first!

Its peoples day jobs man thats what the do all day long, a full cage would take a solid day work, and that can be some peoples weeks wages from that one days good welding.