atf+ engine engine oil

RGM1800

Member +
some one told me that mixing 1/2 qt of atf and 2 1/2 qt of engine oil is good in hydraulic lifter.

is this true>? need advise thanks

Fatman

Member +
I couldn't comment on the mix, but you do realise that the toyota E/A series engines aren't hydraulic lifters right?

sx_turbo

Lifer
as dave said,

and no you cant mix the oil, thats a silly idea imo.

if yours is rattly, i suggest getting it re-shimmed and using the correct grade of oil.

finx

Member +
that is a ABSOLUTE NO NO! do not mix atf with engine oil. atf is a hydrolic oil and is designed for high pressure more than anything else where as engine oil is designed to maximize lubrication and cooling. you will stuff you bottom end in no time if you do this.

as said e and a series toyota engines do NOT run hydrolic lifters, but solid shim buckets or lash caps depending on what you want to call them with shims. if you head is getting rattly i suggest a re shim, nothing else will fix it properly. there is oil substitutes which u can mix with your engine oil (once again i dont recommend these as they take away properties of the base oil for which it was designed to have) which will shut them up a bit but will not make the problem go away. loose valve clearances will also cost you power as the valves will not be opening as far as they should be allowing maximum amount of air in and out of the engine.

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
they are hydraulic and self adjusting

Afraid not mate, as already said there's nothing hydraulic or self adjusting about them.

lifter.jpg

RGM1800

Member +
thank for all of the replies

how about 1 need only to reshim one of it do ineed to take the head all out? or jsut pull out the shim?

350ep70gr

Member +
thank for all of the replies

how about 1 need only to reshim one of it do ineed to take the head all out? or jsut pull out the shim?

Just mesure the gap between cam lobe and shim then remove the shim and change the thickness to suit the specification. Intake valve 0.15-0,25 exhaust valve 0.30-0,40mm.
If you find it difficult to remove the shim (it is easy by the special tool) you can renove the cam to reach it.

Chris

RGM1800

Member +
Just mesure the gap between cam lobe and shim then remove the shim and change the thickness to suit the specification. Intake valve 0.15-0,25 exhaust valve 0.30-0,40mm.
If you find it difficult to remove the shim (it is easy by the special tool) you can renove the cam to reach it.

Chris

measure the gap between the cam lobe and the shim? the lacking mesurement will be added to the shim?

fastglanza

Member +
i tink there is a tool as mentioned (someone can post up where to get one)

If not then remove the camshafts, the shims come out easy i.e u dont need to remove the bucket...there is a little grove on the bucket so just use something small like a flat screwdriver and lift it off

350ep70gr

Member +
i tink there is a tool as mentioned (someone can post up where to get one)

If not then remove the camshafts, the shims come out easy i.e u dont need to remove the bucket...there is a little grove on the bucket so just use something small like a flat screwdriver and lift it off

x2

chris

tgidavid

Member +
Kind of afraid to comment, but here it goes. YES! I dump in 1/2 bottle of atf or powersteering fluid into the engine, but the thing is that you must do an oil change soon after. The basic properties of ATF is that it has detergent agents that is suppose to clean and protect the solenoids, fluid transfer ports, and other parts in an automatic transmission. You put this into the engine to do the same things with the lifters, oil grime, etc. Toyota sells the same products here called an engine flush which has the same characteristics of ATF. I have done this with every used car that I have bought and I do not have any engine issues what so ever. The ep82 had this treatment 2x because the first time, the engine oil was really really really black.

So far I have 150K miles on the celica, 120k miles on the matrix, and 90K miles on ep82. The turbo on the ep82 has no spooling issues and still pulls hard. Just so you guys know, that the info I got comes from several toyota service technicians around my area. Oh and BTW, if anyone is running the toyota long life coolant (RED) and hasn't done a flush in 80k miles, do it right away. They are saying that the coolant becomes corrosive really fast when the silicates wear off and can eat through the joints where the rubber and pipe meets.

Last edited: