Autobahn FMIC with Crashbar??

Lornce

Member +
Hello all,

Is there anyway to fit the crash bar with the Autobahn FMIC?? - As iv heard that having your crash bar off kinda makes the car unstable-ish??

Phil

Super Moderator
ive seen an autobahn cooler fitted with all bars etc, on both glanza and gt!

think it just needs some fiddling!!

Phil

supernova

Member +
AFAIK the autobahn cooler is too big to retain the front crash bar on the glanza unless you get one custom made... And removing it would reduce alot of rigidity up front.

Lornce

Member +
yeah iv tried to push back the fmic but it pushs on the lower chassis bar. where can you get a modified crash bar from or is it a matter of making one yourself? And rep for everyone :)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
DSC00141.jpg

Bourkey's Car ;)

Lornce

Member +
Fittinfmic.jpg

my fmic sits alot lower. look where the crash bar goes and look how far out the intercooler sits!

Dave.

Member +
We fitted it no bother at all to an ep82, with no modifications. I've seen it done on an ep91, though I'm not sure how.

Dave

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
thats quite interesting!! - how the hell has he got that to fit??

if i remember right, he made a new top bracket and angled the cooler slightly

EDIT: also he's running an NA rad which means the cooling fan is on the back of the rad, not the front

Jay

Admin
All EP82 owners please stop replying - you do not have a crash bar...

You have a bumper support bar which will do fuck all except scream hysterically during a crash.

----------------------​

On the EP91 it takes a little perserverance but it is possible by reshaping the vertical bar that supports the bonnet lock.

Please ensure you have not altered the position of the bonnet latch as it could fail at speed leaving you with more than egg on your face.

It is a tight fit and you will swear a lot but here it is:

nikon1055yx5.jpg

Hope that helps,

Jay

Lornce

Member +
All EP82 owners please stop replying - you do not have a crash bar...

You have a bumper support bar which will do fuck all except scream hysterically during a crash.

----------------------​

On the EP91 it takes a little perserverance but it is possible by reshaping the vertical bar that supports the bonnet lock.

Please ensure you have not altered the position of the bonnet latch as it could fail at speed leaving you with more than egg on your face.

It is a tight fit and you will swear a lot but here it is:

nikon1055yx5.jpg

Hope that helps,

Jay

thanks very much jay! that looks quite hard to do tho, lol. Did the intercooler pipes conect up properly as the core has been raised? And rep for you!!

Jay

Admin
The cooler to inlet piping fitted fine from what I remember.

I can't comment too much on the turbo to cooler pipework as this car was a TD04 setup and we ditched the regular CT9 pipes and went custom.

Jay

Tony Harrison

Member +
Lets see the difference between the "does fuck all" bumper bar and crash bar on a ep91 then, for all us thick shits with ep82s that "know fuck all".

Just so as not to make complete utter knobs of ourselves again.

G5EGM

Lifer
After seeing this thread last week and having a Blitz LM FMIC setup myself, I decided I was going to attempt including the crash bar.

This is how she looked last week...
DSCF1486.jpg

So off I went to B&Q on sat to find me a replacement bracket....found a suitable bracket that had a equal height drop as what Blitz had supplied for the EP91.

DSCF1512.jpg

I still had to do minor mods to the bracket so that it was a perfect fit....
1. Cold bend so that angle was slightly less than 90 degrees.
2. Re-bore hole for core mount to 8mm and slot so that an exact line-up can be made on fit-up.

Also fitted crash bar before installing FMIC so core can be slid into place.

Also the vertical uni-strut member that top bracket connects to requires trimming so core can be slid into place. Pic is crap but core does not touch.

DSCF1533.jpg

I actually found that pipe work fitted better in modified location and this is how it looked.

DSCF1549.jpg

Jay

Admin
Lets see the difference between the "does fuck all" bumper bar and crash bar on a ep91 then, for all us thick shits with ep82s that "know fuck all".

Just so as not to make complete utter knobs of ourselves again.

Gladly.

Here's the pliable, thin EP82 bumper support bar which you can bend in two with your bare hands:

gt1fmicfoglamps019ej2.jpg

Here's the later EP91 crash bar made from strengthened steel:

nikon1056fv4.jpg

Next time I have access to both I'll take a comparison shot to show the visual differences. It will take you to personally inspect both to appreciate the difference between them.

Regards,

Jay