Autobahn FMIC with Toy Tuning Manifold?

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Hi guys - I wondered if anyone was running a AB88 FMIC kit with one of Toby's manifolds? Im a bit worried about whether the silly routing of the turbo pipe over the top of the manifold may actually touch the manifold?? Not sure if the TT manifold 'sticks out' more than the OE manifold which the kit was presumably designed to clear. Have a FMIC on order and trying to be prepared for all potential nightmares!

Cheers

Mike

GTdan

In The Closet
Hi guys - I wondered if anyone was running a AB88 FMIC kit with one of Toby's manifolds? Im a bit worried about whether the silly routing of the turbo pipe over the top of the manifold may actually touch the manifold?? Not sure if the TT manifold 'sticks out' more than the OE manifold which the kit was presumably designed to clear. Have a FMIC on order and trying to be prepared for all potential nightmares!

Cheers

Mike

i think it looks ok to be honest - which one you looking at? the mild steel one?

Mike_ep91

Member +
ya man id say theres plenty of room and im runnin a sps mani with an A88 fmic and theres plenty of clearance.there roughly the same dimensions

P9100111.jpg

P9100110.jpg

P9100112.jpg

That piping being stupid - you can say that again !!!

Wouldnt dare go for such a cooler with piping like that BUT if you already have bought it, then I seriously suggest you re-route it imo mate.

Regardless If its easy to do or not, but that design is definitely not suitable imo. Intercoolers are "coolers" used to provider cooler air to the turbocharger via this piping, so why on earth would you stick the pipe above a red hot manifold ??? :confused::confused:

as above mate quite easy to do to

pockrockgtti

Member +
It wont make much difference as the pipe goes over the manifold before entering the intercooler, therefore any heat induced when passing over the manifold, shold be dissipated by the intercooler. It would be a different story if it passed the manifold after coming out the intercooler.

Regardless If its easy to do or not, but that design is definitely not suitable imo. Intercoolers are "coolers" used to provider cooler air to the turbocharger via this piping, so why on earth would you stick the pipe above a red hot manifold ??? :confused::confused:

Andyep82

Member +

misunderstood what you were saying there but ye design is horse muck

Andyep82

Member +
It wont make much difference as the pipe goes over the manifold before entering the intercooler, therefore any heat induced when passing over the manifold, shold be dissipated by the intercooler. It would be a different story if it passed the manifold after coming out the intercooler.

not only that though its a long route too, i saved best part of 2ft of pipe when re routing mine

True techincally.

However, the temp of the air coming out the cooler and into the inlet mani will not be as cold as it can be If the piping was intially directed around the turbo for example. This way the air flowing into the cooler would be cooler and hence more cooler going into the engine. This is the aim here is it not ?

Also as mentioned above If the piping is unnecessarily long it will only contribute to lag / less response.

Overall these 2 facts mentioned about this cooler say to me "it sucks" tbh and indeed not the best choice!

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Thanks for the help guys - nice one. Reps all round! I already have the TT mild steel mani fitted and an AB88 'cooler on order. I am aware its not ideal but can always re route if required. The standard intercooler pipe from turbo to 'cooler runs right next to the mani anyway. I will use some heat reflective tape also.

Cheers

Mike

Gtstu

Member +
Im using a tt mani with the ab front mount and they fit fine but really advise 2 shorten the pipe work

Dane_Bristol

Member +
The heat expelled from my race coated manifolds will be much much less due to the thermal ceramic Coating it has on it :)

Not the best route in the world for FMIC pipework i got myself an HDi kit and cant wait to fit it when my car gets back. The quality is outstanding and with over 25 kits sold already those people will tell you how good they are apart from the initial cutting of the bumper which i find 200% worth the effort.

starlet666

Member +
yes and no.... it works in theory but i would just suggest wrapping ur manifold with header wrap or making up a nice little heatshield.....