Battery Relocation to the boot????

KrissyB

Member +
Any idea's of who sells a Kit or how its done or anyone on here done it with their Starlet.

Just it looks so untidy in the engine bay and I would like to put it in the boot.

Cheers Peeps;)

chimp

Member +
Did this to my rally car,

Bought a battery box from Demon Tweeks and some Battery cable (I bought positive & negative), Bolted the box to the floor of the boot and ran cables along floor ..... Took about half an hour but since (I presume) you still have seats, carpets etc it will take a bit longer

Jay

Admin
I used a WEPR relocation kit for my trackcar. Solid job and came with everything I needed. Cost was a little high but the finish is up to Sacha's usual high standard. Think it was around £70 but my memory is shite.

Could be done a fair bit cheaper if you wanted mate. As Gaz says just a cable and a secure battery mount should see it sorted.

Jay

KrissyB

Member +
Did this to my rally car,

Bought a battery box from Demon Tweeks and some Battery cable (I bought positive & negative), Bolted the box to the floor of the boot and ran cables along floor ..... Took about half an hour but since (I presume) you still have seats, carpets etc it will take a bit longer

No stripped like a Track slag lol just two Evo Recaro's

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
demon tweeks or rally design sell nice alloy box's, will need new battery connections, aze could do it when doing the diff:p, 5 mins works

chimp

Member +
No stripped like a Track slag lol just two Evo Recaro's

That's handy :)

I would also advise getting the small plastic clips that either stick or screw to the floor to hold the cables neatly in the side, last thing you want it for one of them to rub through or get caught in someone's feet and short out.......

Jay

Admin
A few pics fom my garage thread:

brakepadsanddiscs1134re2.jpg

brakepadsanddiscs1143gl0.jpg

brakepadsanddiscs1144bg2.jpg

And a more up to date pic:

weekend5057resizeps1.jpg

I just checked and the current WEPR price is $250, I could have sworn it was $200-ish back when I bought it years ago. EDIT - Just checked and it was originally 200 but prices have gone up since 2004!

Given our woeful exchange rate it would look more cost effective to DIY one yourself.

Hope that helps,

Jay

danturbo4311

Member +
iv put mine in the boot last month i used a junction box for all my positive wires under the bonnet & attached a 300amp cable to it ran that through the car & made up some securing brackets for the battery, then earthed it out in the boot easy to do & didnt cost me anything got all the stuff from my works, only thing i was worried about was the battery being a lead acid one & not a sealed unit but iv had no problems so far

GTti

Member +
I just bought a DMS racing battery which weighs less than 5kg.

It's tiny, on its side in this picture:
bay2.jpg

GTti

Member +
The Red Top 8 is 2.7KG's and fits in the palm of your hand, it's enough to turn over a GTti engine as I know someone with one.

I went for the 15, these are dry cell so don't leak either. If you have a normal battery in the boot and nothing between you and it then the battery could leak acid on impact, should also be vented.

I couldn't be bothered with all of that hence Red Top battery + saved about 10KG's!

http://www.varleyredtop.com/products_8.htm

KrissyB

Member +
The Red Top 8 is 2.7KG's and fits in the palm of your hand, it's enough to turn over a GTti engine as I know someone with one.

I went for the 15, these are dry cell so don't leak either. If you have a normal battery in the boot and nothing between you and it then the battery could leak acid on impact, should also be vented.

I couldn't be bothered with all of that hence Red Top battery + saved about 10KG's!

http://www.varleyredtop.com/products_8.htm

True matey

sanchez

Member +
relocated mine to the boot using a good quality cable from the front along the pass side under carpet then behide the trim to the back right of the car.

then used the two rods used in the front to hold it down by drilling two holes and used two rubber seals to keep water tight!

im told it has to be a gel battery tho??? oops lol

munday

Member +
Yeah as said youre best off earthing it in the boot, if you keep the standard acid type battery technically you should have it in a sealed box venting to the outside air...

:drive: