Best forged pistons and rods combination?

wee-jo

Member +
Was considering a forged rebuild and was just wondering if anyone could define the "ultimate" forged combination? In relation, what kind of thickness headgasket should be used?

FeNder

Member +
no they're great pistons too ofcourse , lots of members are using them to great success , however ross are greater in my eyes heh !

gedis

Member +
JE pistons and pauter rods imo :rockon: as for head gasket the thicker you go the more chance of failing

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i think everyone will agree with pauter rods... as for pistons i heard very good things about arias...

you can go custom cc with most of the brands so thats a plus... ad for quality... never heard of any forgies going wrong on starlets. id say its all down to your pocket and preference

sx_turbo

Lifer
ross are not the best, the problem with ross pistons is getting the clearances correct, they make it a little awkward, even when ross themselves tell you the clearances to run they arent always correct, this is from what i heard, i my new engine builder prefers not to fit them.

my new engine builder recomends people to use wiseco or wossner pistons, as these are the best performing and reasonably priced pistons.

he said je pistons are very good, but he cant warrant the price of them as his personal opinion is that there no better qaulity than the wiseco or wossner pistons.

as for rods, the pauters are probably the best, but again he says for the price of them, and for the power capability's compared against the scat, (and even the cheaper rods that look identical to scat) he says there not really anything in it, he said as long as the rods come from a reliable source, and has real ARP bolts, then theres not really much of a difference.

basically it's down to the budget you have.

I_<3_Boost

Member +
Ricky your right, the ring gaps that ross gave me were seen to be too tight, the machinist advise to go biggger than what was stated, and I have and its all good :)
I think I used advise from other people on the gaps and the machinist and the matched up, so that was good enough for me.

sx_turbo

Lifer
wiseco pistions give more piston slapping dont they with the shorter skirts:confused:

if you dont want noisy pistons stay away from ross.

the quietest with the smallest clearances are wossner.

then wiseco,

i cant comment on any other type of pistons

starlet666

Member +
i have run all kinds of forgies

i had a ford v8 twin turbo with arias pistons and scat rods..... wouldnt use arias again

had a s15 with a tomei 2.2 litre kit in it.... cosworth pistons and could not fault them at all.... were almost like a stock piston... couldnt tell it was forged.... but holy shit they are effing expensive

aristo (yes i built a 2jz i dunno why either) it has je pistons and they were good were a little noisy but did there job

starlet (current) use wisco pistons and scat rods and cant fault em.... i ran my car lean as a few times (im talking 15 afr's) and it didnt even detonate with all the smoothing in the head and i polished the crowns of the pistons b4 i installed them..... motor is a little noisy when cold but is sweet as when at temp.... i wouldnt go past scat wiseco again if there was this package for my next car it will go in again.....

wee-jo

Member +
Cheers guys, so the best pistons i can go for are wossner or wiseco and the best rods are pauter or scat?

My next question is headgasket, what thickness/make should I be aiming for? Also, what about new boost springs? would they only matter if I was running more than a ct9 turbo?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Cheers guys, so the best pistons i can go for are wossner or wiseco and the best rods are pauter or scat?

My next question is headgasket, what thickness/make should I be aiming for? Also, what about new boost springs? would they only matter if I was running more than a ct9 turbo?

as for headgasket depands what boost you going to run etc

starlet666

Member +
i have a speedvision 1.2mm gasket and i have the speedvision valvesprings also... works well scat rods u have to notch the block to fit also... so b sure to take that in2 account bud

billybob

Untrusted Seller
1.2 or 1.4 mm steelheadgaskets are the common ones to be used bigger will get you laggy with your turbo but all depends on your setup.pistons and so fort turbo your running stuff like that

wee-jo

Member +
i have a speedvision 1.2mm gasket and i have the speedvision valvesprings also... works well scat rods u have to notch the block to fit also... so b sure to take that in2 account bud

Cheers man, I'll pass that onto the guy doing the build as am useless at stuff like that lol

wee-jo

Member +
1.2 or 1.4 mm steelheadgaskets are the common ones to be used bigger will get you laggy with your turbo but all depends on your setup.pistons and so fort turbo your running stuff like that

So thicker you go the more lag you experience?