big brake set up

xx YICK xx

Member +
Hi all, I'd like to show you all my big brake set up (280mm discs) which is a vast improvement, But unfortunatly i dont know how to get my piccies on, Can anyone help, Many thanks

Mark-ep91

Member +
go to photobucket.com setup an account and upload ur pics to it, once the pic is uploaded click copy the img code over from that picture into the thread here :)

xx YICK xx

Member +
Ok then, This is my first attempt so if it goes wrong plz dont get on at me. I've decided to go the gt4 route mainly because of cost but to be honest when i done it after the the st182 twin pots i decided to buy all new coz it was stayin on, As you all know standard brakes are rubbish, Twin pots abit better, This set up much, Much better.
finished.jpg

Firstly get some astra cdti discs, There are 2 types one with a 70mm hole but get the one with the 60mm hole its almost a perfect fit. Take the discs to a machine shop and get them to take 1.5mm off the inside where it mates to the hub and 2.5mm off the outside diameter so it ends up 278mm
before machining
discbeforemachining.jpg

beforemachining.jpg

after machining
aftermachining.jpg

Stick your caliper on, Quick bleed and away you go...Happy days
Heres the difference in the caliper carriers as well
differenceincarriers.jpg

See how bigger the gt4 on the right is, I'd just like to say depending on which wheel you are using, I had to shave a little off the front of the caliper carrier and fit a 3mm spacer in £10 off e-bay for 4. The wheels i am getting there is no need for the spacer.
discs........£66
calipers....£100
machine...£20........£186...Best money i've spent on the car
readytoroll.jpg

Second hand discs and calipers you'll be grinning all day

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i did a st165 caliper conversion matey, with celica discs 255mm and what an upgrade in terms of fade,
discs are 7 or 8mm thicker then stock, and unless u know starlets they look standard-ish.

btw using celica brakes is a worth while upgrade and so cheap and simple.
my conversion cost 110 pounds.

great work by way dude.

xx YICK xx

Member +
i did a st165 caliper conversion matey, with celica discs 255mm and what an upgrade in terms of fade,
discs are 7 or 8mm thicker then stock, and unless u know starlets they look standard-ish.

great work by way dude.

Yeah, Completely agree, that was my first mod. However to be honest this single big piston caliper seems alot better, Now whether thats the piston or the size of the disc i wouldnt like to say, Personally i'd say it was disc size. Thanks

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
some say mate, but differenc is apprently a little, smaller then the differenc then the gt4 twins or single compared to stock starlet ones.
but have to say, the thicker gt4 disc im using helps with fade, and considering its with stock pads, stopping power on full pedal to the floor is much more noticable then stock.

recconmend to anyone else to do these first before wilwoods as is so simple and cheap to do.

weeJohn

Lifer
Looks good lad, could you answer a few questions for me please?

Did you have to drill those discs for the 4 stud pattern and I take it the spacers went between the disc and the wheel to move the wheel away from the caliper?

xx YICK xx

Member +
Looks good lad, could you answer a few questions for me please?

Did you have to drill those discs for the 4 stud pattern and I take it the spacers went between the disc and the wheel to move the wheel away from the caliper?
No no, There 4x100 exactly same as glanza, Fit straight on. Just get the machining done and its just like a factory fit. The spacer goes inbetween the disc and the wheel, But like i said i tried my mates wheels on and i did'nt need the spacer, Thanks

Fro

Member +

great work by way dude.

Discs from what kind of celica did you use? Did your setup need any machine work or spigot rings?

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
re drill celica st165 discs to 4 stud, then fot a 3mm spacer between hub and disc, and all bolts on dude.
hope clears it up fella.

dac69er

Super Moderator
stock brakes are not that bad at all.

most people have half seized fucked brakes and they change to a set of new uprated brakes that make a massive difference.

alot of the time just servicing the stock braking system will make as much difference.

weeJohn

Lifer
stock brakes are not that bad at all.

most people have half seized fucked brakes and they change to a set of new uprated brakes that make a massive difference.

alot of the time just servicing the stock braking system will make as much difference.

I would agree with you there Dunc for normal road driving on a mildly modified set up, but for a fast road set up or track days, they fade pretty badly pretty soon lol.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I would agree with you there Dunc for normal road driving on a mildly modified set up, but for a fast road set up or track days, they fade pretty badly pretty soon lol.

i dont know about that so much. i went out with a freind on a trackday in his 300bhp vf powered starlet and he has stock brakes, albeit with uprated discs and pads. there didnt seem to be any noticable fade on that!!!

Trust me, when you are in the car with someone who brakes very late and very hard, fading happens quite quickly. I had 3g grooved discs, yellow stuff pads and braided lines fitted for about a 1000 miles and thought they were great and then Ed(12345678) Jumped in the car and had them fading in 5 minutes :haha:
As you say it all depends on your own personal need from the set up.