big problem

keeno

Member +
I've been having a problem with my gt ever since I put on my k24 turbo. the turbo had been put on and a few weeks after I was pulling out of a car park and the car started violently chucking, it'd drive in reverse and when it was idling there was no sign of a miss or when you held a rev on it. the engine light only flashed for a second and I still haven't checked that, but I took off an intercooler pipe and it'd drive without the turbo. I then was talking to a mechanic and he said he had come accross a similiar problem with an uno that when it was at normal running temperature that it would do the same and it turned out to be the lambda sensor, so after some time of the car lying up I changed that and it was grand for about 2 months until it happened again, I again changed the sensor thinking that it'd happened again because I hadn't got the car mapped yet, so after it being lying up again for awhile I changed the sensor again and again after about 2 months the same happened but instead i left the turbo connected and disconnected the lambda sensor and the car drove for about half an hour but started spluttering while i was driving so the next day I changed the sensor and it drove for about half an hour and it started the violent chucking when i was pulling away and i couldn't drive it. So now I'm back to square one and don't know what the problem is or was, I've done compression test and everythings alright, checked the spark plugs and on cylinder 1 and 4 they're normal but cylinder 2 and 3 are burnt a bit white as if they're a bit lean on them cylinders. But as i said I don't know what's causing the problem so if anyone has any ideas or has come across a problem like this and sorted it, your help would be appreciated because it's getting me stressed :)

glanzanut

Lifer
unlightly to be fuel cut if its doin it while pulling away. if its bringing on the engine managment then check for a fault code. and take it from there:freddy:

keeno

Member +
It only put on the engine light for a second the first time it happened and it never came on any of the other times so thought it might have flashed from the knock sensor from the chucking that time. haven't bothered hooking it to diagnostics yet because it never put on the light any of the other times

keeno

Member +
Thanks for that bit of info but the battery has been disconnected since the engine light flashed but the engine light never flashed any of the other times so I wasn't thinking whatever that flashed for was the actual problem. See the way it will drive with the turbo disconnected but won't pull away or drive with it connected is weird as when you are pulling away the turbo wouldn't be spooling so it wouldn't be much different than having it disconnected :mad:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
to me its either the map sensor, or the knock sensor playing up.. also the fact that you have 2 whitish plugs & 2 normal plugs could indicate that you have one or more injectors stuck..

kon

keeno

Member +
Thanks for the help lads. How could putting on the bigger turbo have caused a problem like this as I've heard of people on this site just bolting on bigger turbos without having problems. Aswell I've got an e-manage ultimate to go onto the car, so if the bigger turbo is the root of the problem should putting this in and mapping it stop the problem

pig666eon

Member +
i had a similar problem and it was a loose earth i does not show up right away but at a higher speed it rattles and shorts the the engine for a mo and then works again!!

light does come on for a few seconds and then goes off just something to try