blue smoke on applying throttle

turboflow

Member +
i have not seen it yet but the missus has may car and said that there is blue smoke when she goes back on the throttle but its not consistant, what else other than valve stem seals could cause this effect, pcv valve is only year old before u say that

owen

malcolmgt

Member +
i have not seen it yet but the missus has may car and said that there is blue smoke when she goes back on the throttle but its not consistant, what else other than valve stem seals could cause this effect, pcv valve is only year old before u say that

owen

:S

turboflow

Member +
well the engine is being stripped and rings replaced and a metal head gasket going on so whilst its off i will change the valve stem seals also but how would i know if the guides are worn and also how expensive are new ones

350ep70gr

Member +
well the engine is being stripped and rings replaced and a metal head gasket going on so whilst its off i will change the valve stem seals also but how would i know if the guides are worn and also how expensive are new ones

Probably it is only worn valve stem seals owen! You should have them replaced when the rebuilt take place. Also relap the valves are something like common when you open an engine.

To see if a valve guide is worn you disassemply the head put the valve back in but only with the small spring of the two.Not the outer. Next you open the valve at stock lift at push it to the side wile you mesure with a touch micrometer. The play should be minimal. Can recal this spec but i can find it if you realy need it.

To change the valve guides is a bit of trick work (not difficult tho..) But i suggest a machine shop for this job.

Chris

Craig

Lifer
Probably it is only worn valve stem seals owen! You should have them replaced when the rebuilt take place. Also relap the valves are something like common when you open an engine.

To see if a valve guide is worn you disassemply the head put the valve back in but only with the small spring of the two.Not the outer. Next you open the valve at stock lift at push it to the side wile you mesure with a touch micrometer. The play should be minimal. Can recal this spec but i can find it if you realy need it.

To change the valve guides is a bit of trick work (not difficult tho..) But i suggest a machine shop for this job.

Chris

A truly priceless member... repped.

turboflow

Member +

Chris

yet again u come to my resque lol, i dont have the time before lemans to do the head so a machiner is going to do all the work but woul like to know weather to order them before i give them the the head to save time. the seals a less than two years old.

350ep70gr

Member +
A truly priceless member... repped.
:eek:

x2 Chris is very helpful. Knows his stuff!! Credit to the site :rockon:
Thanks mate!;) I havent any progress from your side..how things run?

yet again u come to my resque lol, i dont have the time before lemans to do the head so a machiner is going to do all the work but woul like to know weather to order them before i give them the the head to save time. the seals a less than two years old.
I have notice that if you change brands of oil very often will have a bad effect at valve seals...dont know why tho..

Chris i reckon you are one of the most helpful members on the site. all i see is your name all over the engine/fuelling/turbo section. your a true credit. rep'd

hope your car gets better owen!

Thanks for the awards so far mate. Apreciate your opinion to my face.
You will see some craking info on the electrical section very soon. Some info that cant be find nowhere... i am working on this for the last week and i will post some of the proggress and info asap. I am fully covered with wires and my desk is a mess and my car dont have any wire left on it ..lol :p

I see many people atack owen very often and dont relly like this... so i say lets help this guy to overcome his small problems!;)
All of us we start in a different base than where we are now..

Chris

malcolmgt

Member +
Thanks for the awards so far mate. Apreciate your opinion to my face.
You will see some craking info on the electrical section very soon. Some info that cant be find nowhere... i am working on this for the last week and i will post some of the proggress and info asap. I am fully covered with wires and my desk is a mess and my car dont have any wire left on it ..lol :p

I see many people atack owen very often and dont relly like this... so i say lets help this guy to overcome his small problems!;)
All of us we start in a different base than where we are now..

Chris

yeah if we all just help and get along would be great!
i look forward to seeing some of your eletrical work!

350ep70gr

Member +
:kiss:
Keep trying owen and you will be grand!!;) First time i cooked... i set half kitchen on fire..:p but now i cook a lot better than my wife..:p LOL. Hope she dont see this post..:slap::slap:

yeah if we all just help and get along would be great!
i look forward to seeing some of your eletrical work!

I will put up a thread right away in the electrical section. If people like it..i will keep up with it and post the rest as i am doing this..If not..i will continue and just keep the info for myshelf...:p

Chris

turboflow

Member +
lol, i would rep u but u were the last person i repped and i cant rep u again until i rep some one else, thats alot of reps lol

corofin12345

Member +
when im posting 2 chris with a problem i cant help but feel like im talking 2 a walking talking 4efte.. always pinpoints the problem.. a credit 2 you sir and a invaluable member
smiley3.gif

Shak-gt

Member +
Yeah i noticed it when i booted it off the slip road and came up behind some one i left off the throttle stayed in gear reves dropped and excelerated then blue smoke appeared in the back window but after that nothing so i tested it again and it onlly does it when i boot it and come off throttle and the back on in the same gear. It does seem like valve stem seals like my engine.

TO82

Member +
Yeah i noticed it when i booted it off the slip road and came up behind some one i left off the throttle stayed in gear reves dropped and excelerated then blue smoke appeared in the back window but after that nothing so i tested it again and it onlly does it when i boot it and come off throttle and the back on in the same gear. It does seem like valve stem seals like my engine.

Sounds like rings, as this is what my car was doing and once the head was off the 2nd cylinder bore was fucked