Boosting a JDM 4EFE

Jay

Admin
My brain has been running over this all weekend..

Taking the 100ps engine from a Japanese EP80 and bolting all the turbo gear to it.

I'd like a few independant opinions on the issues faced just to keep me right. Oh and any predictions are always appreciated too lol. :)

Jay

Rob H

Member +
I boosted a uk spec 4e-fe along time ago on a completely standard engine running 1bar of boost it lasted well over 12 month till the standard head gasket failed other than that it was a lot of fun and very responsive with it having the higher compression. I was running it on an emanage blue. the engine I have just fitted in mine is a fully forged 4e-fe running a Greddy TD05 16G have a look at my garage for more info on that. I think I one of the very first to do it back in 2002/2003 and there is not many done it since thats why I don it again! if ya need any more info I am happy to help mate!

it can be done jay
you just need to becareful of your boost levels and a proper tune is a must

i recall a guy from australia ran a td04l on a 4efe many years ago and i think achieved about 200hp--fully mapped

remember though, some guys have not had good expereinces when doing this

i guess you need to remember its high compression and the 4efe rods are not as thick as the older 4efte rods

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Cheers for the encouraging feedback lads, I've just to bring a few litres of engine oil home tomorrow and I'll know for definite.

Been planning this for donkeys ages - I took one of those 100ps JDM engines from an EP85 and bolted everything except the knock sensor to it from a busted 4EFTE. Just refitted it to the car there now so it's all been a straight bolt on/bolt in affair. The wiring is stock, the sensors are stock, the ECU is stock, etc etc. It should operate as a 4EFTE except with more compression.

I've nicknamed it the Detonator so fingers crossed for the roadtest lol..

fishman

Member +
Cheers for the encouraging feedback lads, I've just to bring a few litres of engine oil home tomorrow and I'll know for definite.

Been planning this for donkeys ages - I took one of those 100ps JDM engines from an EP85 and bolted everything except the knock sensor to it from a busted 4EFTE. Just refitted it to the car there now so it's all been a straight bolt on/bolt in affair. The wiring is stock, the sensors are stock, the ECU is stock, etc etc. It should operate as a 4EFTE except with more compression.

lolssssss

Skalabala

Member +

Might end up as the Terminator :D

hmmm jay...i'm not sure how this set up will work without the knock sensor
it seems you are planning to run it in a starlet using the 4efte ecu and sensors?!?!?
if so, the knock sensor may be important...i dont know how the 4efte ecu will react without it
isn't there anywhere you could plug the knock sensor close to where it would be in a genuine 4efte engine??

i'd advise you to use the 4efte injectors for sure and maybe set the base timing to zero degrees at first via the distributor to help minimise detonation...maybe raise the base timing slowly and see how it reacts from there

this is why i think a good management system is very improtant under normal circumstances with a n/a 4efe turbo

good luck to you with your detonator....lolol

Jay

Admin
Hey Andy, all external components are 4EFTE. I basically just bolted the 4EFE engine in place of the 4EFTE. That means the ECU, injectors, sensors, hell even the starter and alternator are orginal Glanza parts. Provided it starts up and idles happily I be sticking the det cans on, bolting on the wideband and going boosting.

The knock sensor is totally missing at the moment. My guess is this will need plugged on to the connector and put somewhere quiet otherwise I'll get an error code and the ECU will pull the timing back around 5000 rpm (like it would if the sensor wire broke). That's pretty much the last issue I have to sort before hitting the road.

Wish me luck - if anyone hears a distant explosion followed by a scream of "FECK!" you'll know what's happened...

Jay

Ted

Member +
as you know mate, that engine will be sky high compression due to very low miles on it. keep it mega rich, maybe rrfr set pretty high.

Rob H

Member +
The block should have the hole in the block for the knock sensor all the efe blocks I have are pre drilled and tapped ready for the sensor

chinesemafia

Member +
The block should have the hole in the block for the knock sensor all the efe blocks I have are pre drilled and tapped ready for the sensor

yea what he said x2

besides the car wornt rev past 4000 rpm with out the knock sensor this is somethis ive done befor when my 5e was being rebuilt i needed to drive my car around so i took the only engine i had lying around which a working 4efe and bolted al the fte parts including the knock sensor the engine took a hell of a beating ill tell you that for sure

only thing i did to it was used 2 head gaskets so if you have the right management

so with proper managment the single head gasket souldnt be an issue as i was running only the stock 4efte ecu at the time

good luck bro

corofin12345

Member +
every time i see this been done down here, it was the same conclusion.. valve hungry pistons and they really dont like revs.. a bloke i know went through 4 of these as he thought they were 4efte's.. the shower he was buying them off were just strapping turbos on to 4efe'e... it can be done if done right, everything swaps over bar a few fiddly little things.. the 4efe has a knock sensor but not sure if its the right connector for the 4efte loom, just use 4efte knock sensor.. thicker HG is the first thing id do

knock sensor on 4efe
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...50551586_100001754662172_171758_3679721_n.jpg

Last edited:
every time i see this been done down here, it was the same conclusion.. valve hungry pistons and they really dont like revs.. a bloke i know went through 4 of these as he thought they were 4efte's.. the shower he was buying them off were just strapping turbos on to 4efe'e... it can be done if done right, everything swaps over bar a few fiddly little things.. the 4efe has a knock sensor but not sure if its the right connector for the 4efte loom, just use 4efte knock sensor.. thicker HG is the first thing id do

knock sensor on 4efe
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...50551586_100001754662172_171758_3679721_n.jpg

where was he getting the engines?

Jay

Admin
Okay. Update time.

Cranked it over till oil pressure was achieved, started first turn and idled fine. Switched off and checked for leaks and dipstick (all good) then restarted. Let her get up to temp and checked the timing which was spot on. Seems happy enough at idle.

I've got the expected knock sensor warning lamp so I'll have to find a sensor and fire it somewhere. The block is not threaded for a knock sensor on this engine.

I'll update after the first explosive roadtest lol..

Jay

Okay. Update time.

Cranked it over till oil pressure was achieved, started first turn and idled fine. Switched off and checked for leaks and dipstick (all good) then restarted. Let her get up to temp and checked the timing which was spot on. Seems happy enough at idle.

I've got the expected knock sensor warning lamp so I'll have to find a sensor and fire it somewhere. The block is not threaded for a knock sensor on this engine.

I'll update after the first explosive roadtest lol..

Jay

any where around the block/inlet manifold would do for the sensor !

weeJohn

Lifer
I threaded the block on one before Jay, I got a lend of the tap for it out of work as its a real odd size. If you need the tap again let me know and I will see if I can get it again. Its like a 14 x 1.25 or something like that but I think I have a knock sensor sitting about so I can check it out.

Text me if you want it mate.

artmull

Member +
Many years ago Dale (rx_10sec) from OZ did this conversion to his girlfriend's car with two differences. He used a Microtech stand alone ECU and a water to air intercooler. IIRC he made either 184 or 194 WHP on the standard internals 4EFE.