Box from japan

Discussion in 'Chill Out Room' started by H_D, Feb 7, 2019.

1. H_D

H_D Paid Member

Just got this delivered from japan.

Screenshot_20190207-155024_Gallery.jpg

Zep racing full size twin core aluminium rad.

Screenshot_20190207-155011_Gallery.jpg

Jay and SKINY like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Admin

Overnight parts from Japan :cool:

H_D likes this.
  3. SKINY

SKINY Registered User +

Very nice :)

4. davehart

davehart Paid Member

Lovely stuff :)

5. gorganl2000

gorganl2000 Registered User +

only two pics open for me
    are there any pics showing the core through the radiator cap?
    does it have 2 separate rows in the core or one "longer" row?

Jay likes this.
  6. H_D

H_D Paid Member

7. H_D

H_D Paid Member

Here is how it looks fitted...

Screenshot_20190210-073335_Gallery.jpg

Jay and SKINY like this.
  8. gorganl2000

yeah i saw those pics on rhdjapan
    the reason i asked about the 2 core vs one longer single core is because it really reminds me of my stock ep91 automatic radiator, but i can't tell from the pics---i can't see clearly through the radiator cap

the ep91 automatic radiator is thicker ("longer" single core) than the manual version (single core)---only thing it has a tranmission cooler built into the bottom tank

thefalls and Jay like this.
  9. thefalls

thefalls Registered User +

I can attest to that one as i have run an automatic one. Single longer core indeed and trans cooler pipes blocked.

Even the diesel starlets have a large radiator as well.

10. H_D

H_D Paid Member

It doesnt have the extra ports for the auto setup.

11. gorganl2000

No transmission cooler, but basically the same unit otherwise as the automatic one, ,,its useful information for others readers in the future

PS - not trying to take anything away from your purchase/tread

12. gorganl2000

i'll have to look into the diesel one

i've personally switched to civic triple core last year to help free up some space

13. H_D

H_D Paid Member

i have previously used an auto radiator on my V with the original hoses from my manual radiator but noticed the bottom pipe sat slightly different, had a bad kink near the thermostat side

14. thefalls

How are you liking the triple core ?

Does it cool too much for the street application or is it better for track ?

15. gorganl2000

the triple core is perfect for my car which is 100% street application, i don't have any rising coolant temperature issues after a spirited drive....i can't comment for track, as i never tracked my car nor do i intend to....i live in the Caribbean so its basically hot all year long,,, average daily temperatures of 30C
    the triple "core" dimensions are H 13.75" x L 14" x W 2" and i use a 14" slim fan (with no shroud) which covers about 80.0% of the radiator, so no problems with cooling in traffic or otherwise-----avoid using the 12" fan as some have complained of cooling issues, same with the twin (2) core civic radiator in hot climates

based on some rough calculations using the core dimensions
    my stock ep91 automatic core volume was 208 cubic inches of coolant (the manual ep91/ep82 radiator will be slightly less as it's a thinner core)
    triple core volume was 388 cubic inches of coolant

again a notable difference in volume

in theory i'd say the stock radiator is longer than the civic triple core, so has more direct airflow, but a significant part of it also sits directly in front of the hot manifold/turbo, which kind of defeats the purpose when you stop (heat soak possibly)
    meanwhile the civic radiator is shorter by about 10" to 12" depending on which stock ep radiator you have, hence less surface for airflow, but makes up for it in thickness/volume and being a greater distance away from the direct heat of the manifold/turbo

personally, i'm sorry i didn't install the civic triple (3) core years ago...lol...the additional space to work on the car is a bonus...lol

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    thefalls and Calum122 like this.
  16. SKINY

SKINY Registered User +

Another fan off the triple core here :)
    I think mine runs a tad cooler than with the factory one and like Gorgan, after a good hoke it dosnt seem to raise on the guage any. I've a 10" slimline fan that runs flat out too maybe helps a bit too ?

17. gorganl2000

your fan is ran direct or via the stock fan switch?
    i'd suggest you upgrade the fan to the 14",,,it will not need to work as hard being on all the time
    i feel the 10" fan is way too small, technically you can only cool approximately 40% of the radiator surface area, which is half of what the 14" fan can cover at 80%.....for comparison sake, the 12" fan covers about 60% of the radiator surface

SKINY likes this.
  18. SKINY

SKINY Registered User +

The temp sensor switch is suspected to be away so it's always ran flat out bud, you mentioned the 12" to me before but it's done ok so far. I know what you mean tho :cool:
    That had me thinking before......
    Wonder what use a couple of small fans side by side would be on the fmic core ?
    Least of my worries at the moment tho o_O

gorganl2000 likes this.
  19. gorganl2000

about as useful as an ice lolly to an Eskimo :D:D:D
    they would only serve a marginal purpose when you come to a stop, at which point you would not be boosting unless you run antilag/launch control :D

SKINY likes this.
  20. thefalls

The stock fan doesn't fit the triple core i presume?

The added bonus of the space when using a civic rad is awesome. Oil filter comes out nicely.