Brake Line Problem

Heggers

Lifer
Right with my new braided lines coming soon, I'm just wondering if anyone can think of why my old one (passenger front) got the massive hole in it. I've got a few pics and I want to make sure I won't be damaging the new ones the same way when they go on.

BrakeLine004.jpg

BrakeLine001.jpg

BrakeLine003.jpg

Sorry about the poor pic quality, they were from my iphone.

Any ideas what could've caused it to fail in this way?

Cheers

glanzanut

Lifer
rubbing against the strut somehow id say mate, is there wear marks to the side of the hole or is it a clean hole with no wear to the sides. if there is wear then its friction wear:freddy:

Motor

Member +
Just had my car with the mechanic today and have the same problem. Its due to the mounting point for the brake line on the MeisterR shock; when you're on partial lock and hit a bump the line rubs against the mounting point for the brake line on the car's chassis. Been told it will require braided brake lines and alot of fiddling to sort the clearance issue... get it sorted ASAP too, will slice the lines at some point in the future :eek:

MeisterR

Lifer
Right, just been inform about this so we need to see if i can make any adjustment to make it better.
The brake bracket itself can be bent slightly to make adjustment if there are small clearance issue.

Heggers: If you can please get me a few better pictures when you install the brake line, I will get this address with the engineering right away.
But when you install the new braided line, please ask the mechanic to check the clearance and move the brake line bracket if necessary to ensure there are enough clearance.

Added:

I can see what seems to be the problem now...
If anyone can get a clearer picture of the MeisterR coilovers with a clear view of the brake line, I will see how much room I have to work with.
I see if I extend the brake line bracket I can give a little more clearance, but at the same time I am not sure if I will cause stress on any other parts of the brake line so a clearer picture will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
This happened to me last night while driving lost the brakes completely fucking blessed nothing happened hate to think what could of though!

J25GTi

Lifer
Fuck meee. Everyone should probably stop using it until its fixed. Good to see jerrick is been proactive in solving these issues!

MeisterR

Lifer
Guys, while I am here I cannot stress this enough.
Check those brake like clearance please.

If it looks like it will hit into the chassis because it is low, relocate the brake line to a lower position.
As this is hitting the limitation of the chassis due to the amount lowering.

If I change the bracket design, people who don't lower their car enough will run out of brake line and pull the line when they turn the wheel.
So please check the brake line to make sure there are enough clearance for your ride height adjustments.

While this is standard check you should do on all MacPherson Strut suspension, I might have to make another supplement to warn people just in case.