breaks hellllppp

gavgts

Member +
hi guys i replaced my rear breaks today and now when i drove it up the road i have to pump the foot brake a few times before it stops what is the problem and how do i fix it????????????

gavgts

Member +
great i havent got a clue how to do tht do i have i got to bleed all four and does it consist of taking all the calipers off again

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Google bleeding brakes and you'll get some good guides, I'm surprised you changed the rear brakes and don't know about bleeding!?

You don't need to take the calipers off, just crack open the bleeders on them, you do need to do them all though.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Its the little bit that sticks up on the caliper, it should have a little rubber cap on it. You need an 8mm spanner to loosen them, spray some wd40 on them first and be careful not to break them!

madman

Member +
im learning lol what is the bleed nipple

If you have a one man bleeding system you can do it on your own if not get a pal to sit in the car while you open the nipple then get him to push the pedal then tighten the nut after 2-3 pumps of the pedal and on the 3rd go tighten the nut mid-way througt the flow of fluid

Bleed nipple
nipple.jpg

Hope this helps

Texx

Super Moderator
What have you replaced, just the rear discs and pads?

If you didn't undo the brake lines there should be no real need to bleed the brakes. After fitting new discs and pads, whether it be front or rears, you will need to pump the pedal several times to get the pistons in the calipers to butt up against the pads. The pedal may go to the floor at first, but after operating the pedal a couple of times, it should be firm and your brakes should feel OK.

If the pedal still doesn't firm up, then bleed the brakes!