Broken 4E Head Help!

TO82

Member +
Hi all, well the exhaust manifold stud on my 4E head, has snapped off, you know the common one the top right hand side stud :(

Im just looking for some advice, about what is the best way of getting my car sorted?

Eg. Getting it welded back on?

Or

Buying a second hand head and getting it built up(what would this involve?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

T

tdo4starlet

you might have to take the head to a michine shop and get it drilled out and rethreaded ,,or you could chance it yourself

T

tdo4starlet

yes thats way i say you have to drill it out and retap hole with new threads

Gtstu

Member +
wel i think you need to take the head off and get it welded back on mate you go to uni in hatfield dont ya? Power units will do it by the train station.

weeJohn

Lifer
I doubt you would be able to do anything with that as the head is made from cast alluminium, not easy to weld up and not easy to fill the missing part.

No harm in asking an expert but as its load bearing they will be hesitant to repair it.

dantheman

Member +
if you need a head i have a spare including cams/shims mate, am near heathrow london. :) turn a negative into a positive and get an uprated head gasket whilst the heads off.

steveep82

Member +
its a worringly common fault, but it can be welded back on, you need to go and see a welder and get his opinion, I have known heads be rewelded in the same space.

TO82

Member +
I replaced the head, got a new one for £100.

What did you have to do to swap them over? i have a spare head but all the cams etc are already out bt are with it, what would i need to do to fit this?

I think getting the original welded would be easier?

monka

Member +
if all the cams etc are in the spare head it would be just as easy to just replace the head mate, as you need to take it off to repair it anyways

TO82

Member +
if all the cams etc are in the spare head it would be just as easy to just replace the head mate, as you need to take it off to repair it anyways

Suppose so but, fingescrossed the company next door to where my car is at the minuite can weld it! :haha:

I seriuosly hope they can :eek:

squeekyduck

Member +
Hey mate. I have this problem too. Seems to be a reoccuring prob on these cars now. I still have the bit that fell out and I got my uncle to weld it back in. Its a perfect job and the its not blowing at all. You can also use a high temperature sealent to bond it to the block.