Broken intake tube

Ligerzero

Fresh Recruit
Hi. First time poster, long time lurker here. :)

My GT has been losing power at near full boost. Kinda flutters, and does not run smoothly.

upon inspection, thought it was a hose, but this shows up.
Could this be the problem?

img2438customoj0.jpg

img2440customte7.jpg

img2439customli9.jpg

MrComment

Fresh Recruit
Yup. Looks broken to me too.

When my 4E arrived mine was broken in the same place. I looks like a common failure.

To fix it I took the valve out, to remove the broken piece. I then cleaned both the pipe and the valve boss very good so no oil was left in the cracks or on the surface, brake cleaner works well to get the oil out of the cracks. Then, I mixed up some 5min 2part epoxy for plastics and glued the boss back in place. I went generous on the epoxy and filled the gap below it, since its all about getting the most surface contact possible to get a good strong bond. Obviously dont block the the hole or get any epoxy on the sealing surface of the valve. Once the epoxy was cured it seems to hold better then new and most importantly no leaks.

Jay

Admin
Yeah, the pressure in that pipe can make a difference to the operation of the turbo. That crack can be costing you power and drawing in unfiltered air.

C

CaL

lol its happened to mine...makes dv louder??owell its going soon anyway

Jay

Admin
That's being blown back into the intake from the recirculation valve. It's natural for a little oil to be seen. The oil in the pics has possibly accumulated over time.