broken ribs, what do they feel like

monka

Member +
having never even broken a bone before, i have no idea if i have broken/fractured mine.

basically on friday i was go karting in a very competitive 2 hour endurance race for my bosses team. got shoved into the out side barrier at about 30-35mph and came to an abrupt stop, felt a shit load of pain from my chest, but carried on, pain eventually subsided, woke up the next day with all the usuall aches and pains.
but my ribs still fucking hurt.

basically, at the bottom of my rib cage, if i push the front, it hurts round the side. being ignorent, i havent bothered with hospital yet, but am wondering whether i should as the muscles just under my chest have started to get really fucking tense.

basically, anyone know what a fractured with feels like, if its an unbearable pain, then i know its not,

stuart

Member +
Give NHS Direct a call, if they are no help...get up tomorrow and go see local GP. Better to be safe than just ignore the pain.

Texx

Super Moderator
Courtesy of Yahoo Health:

What is a fractured rib?

A rib fracture is a crack or break in one of the bones of the rib cage. A break in the thick tissue (cartilage) that connects the ribs to the breastbone may also be called a fractured rib, even if the bone itself is not broken.

The most common cause of a fractured rib is a direct blow to the chest, often from a car accident or a fall. Coughing hard can also fracture a rib. This is more likely to happen if you have a disease that has made your bones weak, such as osteoporosis or cancer.

It is important to see a doctor after a rib injury. A blow that is hard enough to fracture a rib could also injure your lungs, spleen, blood vessels, or other parts of your body.

What happens when you break a rib?

Your ribs have two main jobs:

* They protect the organs in your chest.
* They help you breathe by keeping space open inside your chest while the muscles you use to breathe squeeze in, or contract. This leaves plenty of space for your lungs to fill up with air.

The muscles used for breathing pull on the ribs, so breathing may be very painful when you have a fractured rib.

Flail chest is a serious problem that happens when three or more ribs are broken in more than one place. If you have flail chest, the broken area can't hold its shape when you take a breath. This leaves less space in your chest for your lungs to open and air to flow in. It also makes it harder for the muscles to work well, so it's harder to take a breath.

What are the symptoms?

A fractured rib may cause:

* Mild to severe pain in the injured area.
* Pain when you breathe.
* Pain around the fracture when someone pushes on your breastbone.

If you can't breathe normally because of pain or flail chest, you may:

* Feel short of breath.
* Feel anxious, restless, or scared.
* Have a headache.
* Feel dizzy, tired, or sleepy.

How is a fractured rib diagnosed?

Your doctor will ask questions about your injury and do a physical exam. The doctor may:

* Push on your chest to find out where you are hurt.
* Watch you breathe and listen to your lungs to make sure air is moving in and out normally.
* Listen to your heart.
* Check your head, neck, spine, and belly to make sure there are no other injuries.

You may need to have an X-ray or other imaging test if your doctor isn't sure about your symptoms. But rib fractures don't always show up on X-rays. So you may be treated as though you have a fractured rib even if an X-ray doesn't show any broken bones.

How is it treated?

If your doctor thinks you have internal injuries along with a fractured rib, you may need to be treated or watched in the hospital. You may be given strong medicine to control your pain.

But most fractured ribs are treated at home and will heal on their own over time. Home treatment will help you manage the pain while you heal. Pain relief can help you feel better and let you take deeper breaths.

A fractured rib usually takes at least 6 weeks to heal. To help manage the pain while the fracture heals:

* Put ice on the injured area.
* Get extra rest.
* Take pain medicine such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Your doctor may prescribe a stronger pain medicine if over-the-counter medicines don't work.

While you are healing, it is important to cough or take the deepest breath you can at least once an hour. This can help prevent pneumonia or a partial collapse of the lung tissue.

If you have fractured your ribs and you have not injured your neck or back, it is a good idea to lie on your injured side. This may seem odd at first, but it will let you take deeper breaths.

In the past, it was common to tape or tightly wrap the injured rib area. But you should not do this, even if it eases your pain. It can keep you from taking deep breaths, and it could cause parts of your lung to collapse or could increase your risk for pneumonia.

Timmy

Member +
It's not that painful if it just a small break. It's when you pucture a lung you got to worry about.
When i went in with suspected rib fracture the doc said "i thinks it's broken, but it's not worth x-raying" sent me home and said take pain killers.

Jay

Admin
That's how I cracked ribs before - fucking go-karting!

I clipped a stationary kart on the fast straight and ended up in the tyres. My ribs hit the fueltank on the left.

Painful as hell mate and take a while to heal. Worth a quick trip to the docs for some painkillers though. Nomnomnom..

Nippon

Member +
I have experience of this. I have broken 2 ribs on seperate occasions. They can be bloody painful. Especially when coughing, sneezing and laughing etc... The hospital can do very little for broken ribs. As was said above unless you have punctured a lung or have protruding bone from your rib cage the best thing to do is take painkillers and take it easy for a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.

white-ep82

Member +
probably bruised, but definately wortha trip to the drs mate! just incase.

doesnt take much to crack a rib - people have cracked ribs sneezing!

BoostJunkie

Member +
How is your breathing mate as if you start feeling short of breath no f*****g about straight to hospital take my advice i broke my rib in a fight with my brother it pierced my lung and my lung collapsed it aint a nice thing trust me as now BOTH lungs have collapsed 6 times and a further 2 more on operations to have my lungs glued to my chest.

Chris Mcat

Fresh Recruit
there is fuck all they can do about it mate, but def worth a trip to docs for some painkillers i did mine playing football when some fat lump landed on me!

go get it checked

and give it some rest!"