Building my forged 4e, IS BALANCEING THE CRANK A MUST?? & recomend machine shop??

turbostar

Member +
hi i am building my forged 4e with scat rods and wiseco 74.5mm 10 cc dished piston's &a ARP 4AGE Head stud kit,

and i dont no much about balanceing the crank etc is this necessary? how is it done?

and can anyone recomend me a place in the south east (im 15 mins away from bluewater shopping center) in Strood kent
that can do this as well as bore / hone and notch my block.

thanks dan

dac69er

Super Moderator
its not necassary. are you planning on revving over stock rpm? does the crank require any work doing to it? are you running a lightweight flywheel?

if you are going to all the throuble of forging the car then i would be tempted to just get the whole assembly (crank pulley,crank,flywheel and clutch pressure plate) balanced. its not silly money.

if money is an issue i wouldnt worry too much about it.

dark_knight

Member +
engine balance

@dac69er: lol at silly money.. :D :)

@turbostar: i concur. once you've done all that to the engine, the little extra mile to have balancing done with be a worthy expense. easier done when the rest of the engine is in pieces since you can't really decide one day in your driveway, "oh, let me balance my crankshaft today.." :)

turbostar

Member +
its not necassary. are you planning on revving over stock rpm? does the crank require any work doing to it? are you running a lightweight flywheel?

if you are going to all the throuble of forging the car then i would be tempted to just get the whole assembly (crank pulley,crank,flywheel and clutch pressure plate) balanced. its not silly money.

if money is an issue i wouldnt worry too much about it.

im unsure as weather i should get a lightweight fly wheel??, when the engine is built at 1st it will be running stock rpm (maybe higher in the future) but lets go on the assumption of stock rpm,
and the engine is not completly broken down yet, so i have not seen my crank yet.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i spoke to a performance engineering company and his opinion was basically, you wont notice any difference, it is not worth it unless you are building a high spec engine.

i also mentioned the flywheel and he said for the money, unless your racing its not worth it either.

it is entirely up to you. until you know the condition of the crank it is hard to say. really depends how far you want to go. i was planning on getting it done on my engine but decided not to bother. the car goes well and i have alot of money left in my pocket at the end of it ;)

bongskag

Member +
Hi Turbostar,

I am currently rebuilding a forged 4e,after finding out that most places have closed down!! ( due to people buying new cars and not fixing old ones ! ) I came across a place in ramsgate, not sure if its too far from you but its called "thanet engine center" they can do most things that you will be after such as reboring and possibly balancing.

I am just waiting for my crank to be reground, they will make sure its straight then regrind to the nearest available level ( .25 or .50 ) they seem quite competent and helpful as they even advised me to change the rods ( spun bearing ) and I think the prices are really good too ! give them a go if its not too far from you bud !

Good luck :)

turbostar

Member +
Hi Turbostar,

I am currently rebuilding a forged 4e,after finding out that most places have closed down!! ( due to people buying new cars and not fixing old ones ! ) I came across a place in ramsgate, not sure if its too far from you but its called "thanet engine center" they can do most things that you will be after such as reboring and possibly balancing.

I am just waiting for my crank to be reground, they will make sure its straight then regrind to the nearest available level ( .25 or .50 ) they seem quite competent and helpful as they even advised me to change the rods ( spun bearing ) and I think the prices are really good too ! give them a go if its not too far from you bud !

Good luck :)

ok m8t thanks fot the info.

Has anyone els got any recomendations for a machine shop?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
there is one near me that i would reccomend. they replaced the uj's on my ep85 driveshafts and they did a good job and didnt charge a fortune. depends how far you want to travel?

animal gt

Member +
yea get it done!! if you can dont just get the crank done,get all the pistons,rods,pulley,clutch,flywheel all done together;)

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
get the WHOLE lot done, are machine shop charge's about 300 quid thats pistons rods balanced and match'd, pulley crank flywheel clutch all lighten and ballanced, block bored/honed to suit piston's

turbostar

Member +
get the WHOLE lot done, are machine shop charge's about 300 quid thats pistons rods balanced and match'd, pulley crank flywheel clutch all lighten and ballanced, block bored/honed to suit piston's

Ok m8t what machine shop do you use as im in need of this being done soon,
Cheers Dan

weeJohn

Lifer
Rods are not balanced by weight alone, they are balanced end to end.

If you are fitting a different flywheel or have not marked the position the flwheel came off then its better to get the crank dynamically balanced with the flywheel, clutch and auxillary pulley fitted in my opinion.