Burnouts/Warming the tyres

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I don't think theres a proper area on the forums for this question, maybe in the tyres section I dunno It's late and I'm wasted!

Basically I'm running semi slicks and in the not so distant future will be picking up some slicks.

This may seem as obvious as anything but I wanna know how to do a "proper" burn out to warm the tyres. Some may laugh and call me inexperianced but I just have never found myself having to burn the life out of my tyres under normal road/driving conditions, nor felt the need to burn up a carpark :p

Is it just a matter of pulling up the handbrake, bringing the car up to 6-7k revs and dumping the clutch untill u can't see theres that much smoke? If this is the case how many seconds do u burn out for? Any clips I've seem of burn outs the car always seems to be moving forwards which makes me think theres no handbrake involved.

So if someone could shed some expert advise it would help me alot and hopefully prevent me doing something extremly embaressing on the strip that causes me to sell my car and by a camper van and dissapear from all civilisation for fear of being pointed and laughed at like that fat kid does in the simpsons!!!

Thanks in advance

edit: yes my spelling sucks ass when the drinks in(or any other time of the day for that matter!)

Last edited:

stedee

Member +
depends how powerful your car is - if its 200hp ish you could probably burnout without the clutch just stamping on the accelerator does it in mine and you will slowly move forward spinning like fuck or like you said dump the clutch at about 5k revs.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
theres no point on warming up semi slics if your not on the qtm.. for track you DONT warm up tyres.. & for roads lol.. well dont bother..

but for qtm what you do is lower tyre pressure to around 12psi.. step on break as hard as you can, pull up handbreak, release foot break, rev to where u know car will start spinning & keep playing with gas, if need be change gear as well to keep going till tyres are as warm as possible for qtm launch :)

ps this applies to semi slics & slics only.. there is NO point in warmnig up road tyres as they are not meant for that sort of heat..

kon

Jay

Admin
I think he's refering to the quartermile environment Kon, just worth mentioning that for trackwork it is worth doing a few warmup laps to get some heat into the tyres. More so on a cold or wet day when the rears will not get the same heat as the fronts.

I'll shift this into the correct section once we know if it;s track or quartermile he's talking about.

Jay

Adam_Glanza

Member +
is it useful to move back slightly first, then switch to first gear and accelerate??

ive always seen this as a better way in fwd cars to get a bit of heat as the tyres have to scramble for grip and then launch, instead of just having to move the car forward.

try it next time as it seems to work for me

HYBRID

tbh i have yet to see a decent burnout made from all the qtm vids put up on here..

Aidan-G

Member +
tbh i have yet to see a decent burnout made from all the qtm vids put up on here..

any from you then kon:p

if you spun the wheels up while turnig the steering wheel left to right very quickly,would this get them warmer quicker??

i just have a picture in my head that if there spining fast one way(forward)and while this is happening there getting turned left to right....more friction=more heat?no?

HYBRID

well thats done to make sure that the tyres get as much heat "leveled out" so to speak.. also ppl who dont have lsd's use it to get a "stuck" wheel going ;)

Kelly

Member +
Hiya firstly will move this out of the chill out section as it doesnt belong here :)

Secondly semi slicks on the QTR mile take LOTS of warming up and i mean lots! Other ppl may have had better experiences but in the UK at Santa Pod was getting the same if not better 60ft times on eagle f1's!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post, couldn't see past my eyebrows very well hehe.

Yea I'm asking this soley for the 1/4 mile, seems there not just me that could do with some tips which makes me feel better, thought I was asking a stupid question.

Well my first prob is I've been running way too much tyre pressure, think the last day I was using 22psi!!! Which would explain my serious fight for grip of the line.

Theres not really anywhere I can practice burn out cause its just the sort of thing that attracts attention.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
thinks for the tips kon :p

i never managed to pull a good burnout... im sort of "Scared" with all the people looking at you and shit heheh. will practice some burnouts and launches ! :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Yea Sean you launch was unreal, was very impressed.

GT-TD04 why do u say take out the LSD?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Surely though it takes more engine power to spin both wheels than it does for 1 so its much easier to feather the power correctly.

Least this is wot I'm finding with the Quaife

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
At places like Santa pod they have a water wet area to do burn outs, if you tires have ANY tread pattern (sports tires and semi slicks) then do not burn out in the water. The tread pattern will catch the beads of water which means you will have water on the tire compromising traction, like trying to launch when it's wet.

Just drive over the water quickly and do a burn out on the dry tarmac, if you have full slicks with no tread pattern then use the water as it won't "stick" to the tires. Burn out for as long as you need, tire pressure is more crucial to be honest but if you running slicks just burn out to your hearts content until you feel the tires warm and stick.

T