c.v joint. hard to change?? advice needed

iamlegend

Member +
fitting my new joint this week on the drivers side, is it easy to do? any advice on what is the easiest way to do this??
had a look for guide but theres non:(

supernova

Member +
I found it quite tough, especially getting that circlip back in!... Make sure you have a big lump hammer to whack it off!

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I'd say its quite a pain in the arse to change if its the outer one. It should be straight forward but its bloody awkward getting the shaft out of the cv joint and back into it with that stupid clip as mentioned.

You need to remove the hub from the wishbone pull out the inner cv with a pry bar then get a mate to hold the drive shaft whilstyou hit the cv to pull the shaft out then undo the big nut on the outer cv joint (you need a deep socket for it) and thats the joint out.
Repeat in reverse to refit but it's not easy imo, I was battering my shaft for ages to get it back in (tehe).

c3dpo

Member +
Does this apply if fitting new shafts complete?

I got the wheel off, and both boot joint things lookeda bit fucked with crack so got a nwe shaft off TM D (Who is legend imo).

Anyway, what sort of tools will I need this "Deep socket" worries me.

I have ratchets up to 23mm I think
Sockets up to 25mm max
few spanners
and basic stuff.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or list what I need to do a drive shaft lazy link me please, I search for hours on here and find some things not all relevant then get sucked into it all.

Thanks again TMD :D

And all the other GT owners helping me bring it back cheaply from the dead!