C52 & C56...

Gee

Member +
Would you really notice the difference?

C56's are so hard to obtain and I want to rebuild a box and drop a LSD in without taking my car off the road.

C52's go for cheap and are not hard to obtain, but are the differences minute?

For example:

2 stock GT's.

1 on original C52 and 1 on the C56...

In theory, which one would win on the QTR?

riko666

Member +
the 3rd and 4th gears are shorter on the C56, everything else is the same, so in theory, if both drivers are of equal skill, the C56 equipped car should pip the C52 equipped car. Mind you, you have the C56 already...

riko666

Member +
i think they could be C150 or C155 - it's what's in the Tercels/Paseos. Don't know how their ratios relate, but the Gears and differential gears are actually thinner in those gearboxes

Gee

Member +
the 3rd and 4th gears are shorter on the C56, everything else is the same, so in theory, if both drivers are of equal skill, the C56 equipped car should pip the C52 equipped car. Mind you, you have the C56 already...

So the shorter ratio's aid acceleration...

I know I have a C56 box, but I want to rebuild another box while still running the car. As I will be paying for the LSD to be put in, box rebuilt and then placed on my car, I don't want to pay to put a C52 box in my car, to rebuild my C56 and then back again! :D

colin

Fresh Recruit
how can you use the corolla gt gear box when they have a 4age engine how can you fit this gear box to a 4efte engine?????

fastglanza

Member +
tbh i dont think the difference is enuf to be negative...u dont exactly have a "low" power car :)

yeah the shorter ratios help acceleration

Aus_Ep82

Fresh Recruit
Gee get a 5spd AE111 box and change the bellhousing to a starlet one.

The diff ratio in the gearbox is a 4.3 rather than the 3.9 of the starlet. This would help in acceleration but would not be the best for highway cruising.

Gee

Member +
FastGlanza - This is what I am thinking. Due to the torque/power I am running, should I really be too bothered? What are your thoughts people?

Aus - I do a lot of highway cruising I'm afraid, everyday to work and back.

i dont think it will make a difference to u gee
with your power...the slightly longer ratios (3rd and 4th) are generally seen as better

the shorter ratios favor the ct9 set up..to keep the car in the power band

BUT on that note....a c56 AEXXX/levin wiht 4.3 final drive will accelerate like a rocket...its what i'll be doing when i build my spare box

as aus ep82 said...with the higher final drive (4.3) your crusing will suffer slightly...as u will be slightly higher in the revs all the time to run the same speed...example 2500rpm on c52 at 80km/hr with 3.7 final drive......while 3000rpm on c52 at 80km/hr with 4.3 final drive......hope u get what i'm saying from this example

Gee

Member +
i dont think it will make a difference to u gee
with your power...the slightly longer ratios (3rd and 4th) are generally seen as better

the shorter ratios favor the ct9 set up..to keep the car in the power band

BUT on that note....a c56 AEXXX/levin wiht 4.3 final drive will accelerate like a rocket...its what i'll be doing when i build my spare box

as aus ep82 said...with the higher final drive (4.3) your crusing will suffer slightly...as u will be slightly higher in the revs all the time to run the same speed...example 2500rpm on c52 at 80km/hr with 3.7 final drive......while 3000rpm on c52 at 80km/hr with 4.3 final drive......hope u get what i'm saying from this example

Thanks for that.

Why would the longer ratio's be beneficial?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i would stick with it gee,

if your that bothered get a box made up with your own gears!!

3rd and 4th in my eyes is when the td04 comes alive, 1st and 2nd is kinda un-usable as im sure you know, its over so fast!

Gee

Member +
i would stick with it gee,

if your that bothered get a box made up with your own gears!!

3rd and 4th in my eyes is when the td04 comes alive, 1st and 2nd is kinda un-usable as im sure you know, its over so fast!

What your saying does not make sense.

Stick with it would be C56, but from what your saying would suggest you would favour the ratio's of the C52?

Gee

Member +
Yes...I do.

Do you mean stick with the Glanza box or get a C52 from a GT turbo due to the longer ratio's in 3rd and 4th?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well tbh i suppose it would be better with longer ratios. i always thought the glanza was a longer box but i guess i got that muddled up.

either way its quick enough tbh

Aidan-G

Member +
well tbh i suppose it would be better with longer ratios. i always thought the glanza was a longer box but i guess i got that muddled up.

either way its quick enough tbh

ive put a cusco lsd in mine with a levin ae111 final drive,hopefully it will work well..usually in fifth its 100kph at 3000revs,but with the final drive i think it goes up to 125kph if i remember correctly

Last edited: