Capabilities of an SAFC

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ok guys I got my car back after some head work and not I'm boosting to 1.2 bar instead of my normal 1 bar. My (relevent) mods are
ported and polished head
hybrid ct9
fmic
front mounted air filter (to be fitted)
RR mani/decat
Jam BCC
SAFC
AVCR.

My question is will I be able to get a safe tune with the FPR/SAFC at 1.2 bar (on stock internals) or will I need to get the turbo off and get the wastegate ported to stop it boosting so high?

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
my car is tuned using an safc2 and i run a td05 so iwould have thought you would be ok. There are better forms of management though. I shall be getting an emanage ultimate at some point.

If you dont want to boost so high cant you just adjust your boost controler?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I know mate but I've already got it all set up and after the raping my wallet has had lately I can't really afford anything else at the minute. What boost are you running on the td05?

Chris@CCM

Member +
in my book dude 1.2 bar is too much for the stock pistons 1.1 is max boost i would run . u should be able to get a pritty good tune on it with the safc and a fpr. try turning it down using the avrc dude

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
My avcr manual has gone missing mate, no idea how to set it up! But why would it be boosting that high anyway? Surely just getting it p&p'd (with the EFI pipe still in place) wouldn't cause that much creep?

Chris@CCM

Member +
prob just needs set again mate do u have a hks actuator u could turn it down using that. also dose it go to 1 bar then creep up or dose it go to 1.2 rite away ?

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
my car runs just over 14psi. Im sure if you looked on the net you could find an online manual for the avcr.

ChrisGT

Member +
I'm going to be running a SAFC on my GT with the CT9 @ 1Bar and get it road setup, so should get a good tune out of it. I just think its a safer and more adjustable way of running 1Bar than FPR and FCD. Should also make a wee bit more HP as the fuelling will be spot on rather than mega rich :) Well I hope so lol

Chris@CCM

Member +
I'm going to be running a SAFC on my GT with the CT9 @ 1Bar and get it road setup, so should get a good tune out of it. I just think its a safer and more adjustable way of running 1Bar than FPR and FCD. Should also make a wee bit more HP as the fuelling will be spot on rather than mega rich :) Well I hope so lol
u cant realy up the fueling using a safc on its own i would still be fiting the rrfpr too mate and fcd

ChrisGT

Member +
Wouldn't the SAFC alter fuelling through the injectors? And standard 295cc injectors will be more than enough to fuel for 1Bar?

goldenvtr

Member +
you can only use the safc2 to reduce fuel over the stock boost pressure but you can add fuel under stock fuel cut. this is down to the FCD. when using an FCD as the safc2 reads off the same line you can only take fuel away, so you need to start off rich (bigger injectors and or RRFPR) then use the safc2 to reduce the fueling over the rev line.

Sticking to this rule its coped with my power figuers ;)

goldenvtr

Member +
becuase starlets run rich as standard;)

Gotta think when its possable to get a remap on a car they prefect the fuel curve, as from teh factory its done for econamy performance and reliablility. when a car get remaped its normally for more power and its for that perticular engine, you make more power by leaning an engine out(to certain extent). but its deffo advisable to have more fuel to start with as if any electrics fail it wont suddenly run massivly lean, trimming fuel is better than addind fuel 'in my oppinion'

Last edited:

ChrisGT

Member +
Yeah makes sense what your saying bud. Fit an FPR, run rich, then trim down with the SAFC. So if ever the SAFC were to break I'd be running rich through the FPR and not lean out massively and damage the engine. I think I'll stick to standard fpr for now though, as I can't really see the SAFC breaking/electrics failing , but I'm sure it does happen! Kinda risky, but not as risky as FPR/FCD and setting FPR to 3Bar and running ludicrously rich throughout the rev range surely ? lol.

goldenvtr

Member +
true on both point mate, but rich is better than lean, lean causes det, cars run rich on idle anyhow.

if you have a FCD and rrfpr, it can be a good combo, but only when the fcd is resistor type.

resistor type FCD will lean out over the whole rev range so the RRFPR can richen it out over the rev range, but if you have a clamp type fcd and rrfpr you lean out over stock fuel cut so you have to run rich under stock fuel cut then correct a/f'rs over stock fuel cut, this is why clamp type fcds should only be used with fuel computers and NOT with regulators.

im pretty tierd so i hope you can get whta im saying

Chris@CCM

Member +
true on both point mate, but rich is better than lean, lean causes det, cars run rich on idle anyhow.

if you have a FCD and rrfpr, it can be a good combo, but only when the fcd is resistor type.

resistor type FCD will lean out over the whole rev range so the RRFPR can richen it out over the rev range, but if you have a clamp type fcd and rrfpr you lean out over stock fuel cut so you have to run rich under stock fuel cut then correct a/f'rs over stock fuel cut, this is why clamp type fcds should only be used with fuel computers and NOT with regulators.

im pretty tierd so i hope you can get whta im saying
ive always said the seam about using a resistor type FCD thats y i use the hks! great minds think alike or is it fools seldom differ ? lol