car burning alittle rich on fuel

somal

Member +
how do i sort this out, any help ?...got fpr high low boost switch was bypassed..any info would be nice

somal

Member +
yea darker fumes, and seems to get less than average mileage, no the car is pretty much stock if u think about it

danturbo4311

Member +
have you got a gauge on the fpr what fuel pressure are you running & boost etc. have you had the fuelling set up properly

somal

Member +
yes its got a gauge and i'm running stock boost also about 9 psi, the gauge reads about 14 on idle what should i be looking for mates ?

Jay

Admin
They generally run on the rich side of things mate, very little to worry about until you start tuning it.

somal

Member +
its the consumption i'm worried about, the fpr shows about 45 psi excuse me fellas if i am not reading it right

ChrisGT

Member +
Well 46Psi is 3.1Bar, which is a hell of a lot for 9Psi on the stock turbo. It should be back to standard; so 2.4Bar (34.8Psi). Why do you even have an adjustable FPR fitted mate??

somal

Member +
ah man the previous owner had in a 5efte engine in it with a gt28 ball bearing turbo, car was kick ass then

carrington865

Member +
take the vaccum line off the fpr this will give the true reading of fpr. then simply undo the lock nut on the vaccum connector. then wind it in/out to lower the psi. take down to around 39to 40 psi. this will stop overfuelling

Jay

Admin
take the vaccum line off the fpr this will give the true reading of fpr. then simply undo the lock nut on the vaccum connector. then wind it in/out to lower the psi. take down to around 39to 40 psi. this will stop overfuelling

Needless to say that you should NOT set fuelling without the correct monitoring equipment. It should ideally be setup with wideband and exhaust gas temperature readings.

Your setup does not sound standard so no-one here can know what is safe or dangerous.

Remember that too little fuel can blow a hole in your engine and your wallet.

carrington865

Member +
Needless to say that you should NOT set fuelling without the correct monitoring equipment. It should ideally be setup with wideband and exhaust gas temperature readings.

Your setup does not sound standard so no-one here can know what is safe or dangerous.

Remember that too little fuel can blow a hole in your engine and your wallet.

good point jay. forgot to add that in about using a wideband. :slap:

Aga

Member +
when a car is using a stock or even modified ecu, starlets have a fuel map that as the rpm rise, gets richer and richer. so , if when you boost lets say 3500rpm you have 12.5 AFR and at 6700rpm you have 10.3, you cannot remedy this by leaning out the fuelling by lowering the fuel pressure, you will get a lean spot in the lower revs. So, either get a piggyback if you dont like being so rich in the upper rpm range, or a full standalone ecu. But by all means if you don't know what you re doing , take it to a professional for tuning.

or buy a book and do it yourself, save yourself the money (you will have to read it , though)

somal

Member +
u guys have been alot of help, i got the car a few weeks back so i gotta work all the kinks out, also what i notice is that the car idles a bit high when i start up and drops as the engine warms up, what could this be ? guys ?

Last edited: