Car is jumping on 1st gear.. why?

Starletto

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys,

recently my car has been jumping on 1st gear.

for eg. when the car is stationary and then i engage 1st (driving normaly) the car hops a bit when i lift off my clutch.

this has never happend before.

so im wondering if it is time for a new clutch?

any ideas would be great.

cheers

Slinn

Member +
arew you getting any slip or clutch judder??? usually they are signs of a worn clutch??

Is it hard to select a gear cos that could be a sign of a worn pressure plate or release bearing??

Starletto

Fresh Recruit
oh ok... well i havent replaced my clutch for a very very long time, maybe for years

i can engage first gear no problem..

so for eg. let say i engaged 1st gear, i slowly rev the car to about between 2 - 3k revs, while i slowly let off the clutch.

the car hops as it felt like its disengaging and then it makes me rev really high (3k rev) because of normal reactions thinking that car will stall.

so its worn clutch?

Slinn

Member +
Oh right....it only feels like its disengaging?? it doesn't actually disengage?

What is your clutch like in any other gear?? does it slip if you give it the beans?? and if you change gear quickly at high revs does it grab the flywheel well or does it slip there too??

Starletto

Fresh Recruit
nope, it doesnt slip on other gears at all. not even if i give it the beans. if its the clutch, it should happen to other gears also right? so its odd in this type of situation.

Jaak

Member +
If it would be the clutch slipping there is an easy way to tell.
Put the car into 5th gear when driving 80kph, then give full throttle, the engine will increase its revolutions way faster than the car is accelerating. Especially on a hill.
That's what happened to me before.

eiou

Fresh Recruit
Hi there from Greece :) I have exact the same prob did you finally find the solution?This would really help me..

dac69er

Super Moderator
could also be worn engine mounts so you have excessive rocking when you pull away. pull away hard and it wouldnt be a problem.

if its not a clutch problem i would check the mounts next

eiou

Fresh Recruit
could also be worn engine mounts so you have excessive rocking when you pull away. pull away hard and it wouldnt be a problem.

if its not a clutch problem i would check the mounts next

The only difference on my issue is that my car hops only when i push the pedal to engage the 1st gear.It's like trying to engage and disengage that moment..

corofin12345

Member +
The only difference on my issue is that my car hops only when i push the pedal to engage the 1st gear.It's like trying to engage and disengage that moment..

might b clutch release bearing mate.. press the clutch and hold for a bit.. if it moves off ok then ur syncro might b giving out

Last edited:

eiou

Fresh Recruit
But my reverse has only the engage disengage difficulty that time i haven't any squeaking or something like that..Excuse me for my english ..

corofin12345

Member +
But my reverse has only the engage disengage difficulty that time i haven't any squeaking or something like that..Excuse me for my english ..

press ur clutch and hold for a moment, then try select first or reverse.. if it goes in smoothly then u kno its ur sycro gear mate