Car not starting

Little Miss

Member +
Hi all,

Dunno whether this is the right section for this or not but hopefully, someone will be able to help.

Yesterday afternoon, the windows in my Glanza stopped working, for no apparent reason. I then noticed that the petrol gauge was reading full, when it isn't and the temperature gauge and revmeter aren't working at all. I didn't think too much about and thought I would just get a look at it today. But then, I was driving home last night and the car suddenly started to really struggle when I tried to accelerate. The radio, clock and then lights went off...I got her a few more miles and then had to stop and now, the wee bitch won't start again. After the car started to struggle, the voltmeter was reading 0.7 and after leaving it sitting for a while, it rose up to between 10 & 11. Got the jump leads out but still no joy.

Any ideas? :(

weeJohn

Lifer
Its an electrical power problem by the sounds of it. If the battery was reading 0.7 volts then its nearly dead. The jump leads will take a while to get some charge into the battery, so if its really gone then it may not start with them on.

Turn the engine over and measure the voltage at the battery, it should be about 10 to 12 volts on starting if the altenator is working ok. If its below 6 then the ALT fuse is the next thing to check in the engine bay fuse box, if its ok then the altenator could be the problem.

It could also be just the battery is dead, if its not a fresh battery or you dont have any ice or extra equipment wired directly to the battery that would be my first thing to change.

I think I met you and Jade at the Nitro festival, both your cars were pretty standard so its more than likely something routine rather than a fault caused by working around the car. I live in Carrick, if you are having problems getting anyone to work at it, let me know sure.

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
As Johnboy says, it's all pointing to an electrical problem and the battery is the first suspect. The vehicle systems are shutting down slowly so your battery could have lost charge gradually. I'd suggest recharging it and testing it as above. Wouldn't be the first time I've experienced the same thing, happened to me when trying to bring a GT up from Dublin docks only I was being chased by the Customs & Excise officers at the time lol...

Jay

Little Miss

Member +
Sitting at the car now, checking all the fuses. The one for the dials and windows was blown so have replaced it and they're working again :) still not starting though...the voltmeter is reading 11.9 when you turn the ignition on but when you actually try to start it, everything goes off and there's a loud ticking/banging noise from the engine. Put another battery in her too but still nothing :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you only have 11.9 volts and the battery is knackered then the voltage will drop and the starter will just click.

is the other battery you tried one that will definitely start a car?

Little Miss

Member +
Got her started! Checked all the fuses with no problems but she finally started after tightened and giving the terminals a good hammering!