Car wont go in geat

Jdace

I was on the on ramp to the motorway and i was giving it a bit of jandal, still under 100km/h tho, and when i changed to fifth it wouldnt budge into it. Its the second time its been on the motorway (first time being 20mins beforehand) and 423kms since I changed the clutch. I could force it into first and move but i didnt dare to take off. Its not any bettr while the car is off either. It would not reverse tho..

I had just taken it to a mechanic yesterday to replace the gearbox seals as it was leaking. I can hear a noise from the fork when the clutch is pressed, not a terrible noise, but a 'tang'. I can see the linkages move while trying to change gears. My clutch fluid is minimum.

What do i need to check next? Im currently stuck on the side of the motorway :(

The shake i had after replacing clutch(see my previous thread) had dissappeared, all was going well.

I can put it in gear by using the gear selectors on gearbox. Then i can put it in gear with the gear knob, but then cant find neutral, i have to go back to the gear selectors to put in neutral. So im thinking release bearing..?

Last edited:

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
did you put the CRB retaining clip back on properly when you did the clutch?

If fluid is at minimum in your clutch, try filling and bleeding the clutch system

sx_turbo

Lifer
think you have answered your question.

best thing to do would be a) check for leaks on the master and slave cylinders

b) if the above is ok, remove the box and have a look.

Jdace

Yeah the retaining clips are there. The slave cylinder does push the fork(makes a noise inside gearbox when clutch is pressed). No leaks that I can see, although my clutch fluid was changed about a yr and a half ago, and now its down to minimum.

So, looks like im going to take the box off again.. Better be easier the second time damit. Putting the box back in took me and a mate a good hour or two trying to get it back in without taking the rear mount off, we had to lift it in on an angle because of that dam mount, which makes me think maybe while we did this we knocked the release bearing a bit and its just come off its hooks.

I will post what I find when i take it off, might take a while though, i have to work a couple of weekends coming up :(. Thanks guys

sx_turbo

Lifer
taking the gearbox in and out on one of these should be an easy job,

i cant remember the rear mount getting in the way in the past to be honest, but if it is in the way the 5 mins spent removing is better than spending an extra hour trying to force something

Jdace

taking the gearbox in and out on one of these should be an easy job,

i cant remember the rear mount getting in the way in the past to be honest, but if it is in the way the 5 mins spent removing is better than spending an extra hour trying to force something

Yeah well might have to do take it off this time.. we weren't bothered cause we could still do it without it, but it put us off because it looked like someone had seized the bolt, as it was halfway out lol.

Ill post what I find hopefully next weekend if its nice weather.

Fixed it, one of the gear linkages broke :)

Last edited: