Car wont run longer than 30 sec's...

Pixie96

Member +
Hey lads, been doing alot of work on my ep91, its been sitting in my garage since nov last, iv been giving it a run every so often, however last month my rad cracked due to the cold so it hasnt been running.. while it was sitting there i took out the rest of the a/c put on new belts.. i got the rad back last week and put it in last night the car started up without jump leads i was delighted but within 30 seconds the rev's started to die down untill it just cut out..:( i looked at the indicator on top of the batt and its black which means discharged as ya know, but the car didnt need jumps..:confused: and i checked to see if the belts were tight that i changed they seem so there is a tiny wobble on the altanator one, has anyone had a prob like this? can anyone help? is it the batt or altanator? Cheers for all the help lads on this and everything else im annoying ya's about..!:(

Zen

Member +
Hey mate sounds like your battery replace it with a new one as you might not need a new altanator happend to me as soon as my car started in the cold it would die changed the battery and works fine now. Hope this helps

matey if your rads cracked i hope you aint cracked any thing else coolant strength is pretty serious man check it

you checked the voltage and the charge once started matey

AdamB

Member +
Have just had the same problem mate, although I had to jump the car because it had been sitting. Took the leads off and let it idle of it's own and after about 20 seconds the revs would just drop to about 300 and stall. Checked the battery and it had less than 3v in it. So had to change the battery, works a treat now.

Pixie96

Member +
Sounds like i need to change the batt so which im kinda glad cause i didnt want to buy an altanator, yeah i checked the power while it was running and the batt was showin 8 and one of my mates was saying it should be putting out 13/14..

Yeah dan man i know think its alright doh cause car was turned off straight away was no further damage got it checked out,

AdamB

Member +
When the car is running it should be around 14v-14.8v at the battery.
On mine I just about got lights on the dash, didn't even have enough juice to pull the windows up lol.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yeah it's the battery - it will start even with 9V, but weird why the alternator didn't charge the battery once it's started! I would check the spark plugs, leads and the rotor arm - as well! As the water could possible get inside and that would also cause car to stall after a while!

Pixie96

Member +
Yeah it's the battery - it will start even with 9V, but weird why the alternator didn't charge the battery once it's started! I would check the spark plugs, leads and the rotor arm - as well! As the water could possible get inside and that would also cause car to stall after a while!

Yeah im going to go at it this weekend paul just bought a batt on my lunch there,
Yeah adam that beep when the door is open sounds mad cause the batt is so flat, ill
have the prob sorted by the end of the weekend anyway! hope its the batt!

Cheers lads!

:rockon:

Pixie96

Member +
Well not good news to report, changed batt brand new went into the car today..
little glanza still cutting out.. re-tightend belts still no change..:(

think its the altanator what do ya's think?:confused:

glanzanut

Lifer
no because even if it was knackered the new battery should keep the car running longer than that.
you tried checking for fault codes?
could be a blocked fuel filter, or dodgy map sensor

weeJohn

Lifer
Try some fresh fuel in it.

Fault code proceedure can be found in the awefully helpful section, or by using the search function at the top left hand side of the page.

Pixie96

Member +
Try some fresh fuel in it.

Fault code proceedure can be found in the awefully helpful section, or by using the search function at the top left hand side of the page.

I had a look through there john im still lost im sorry im new to all this stuff.. ill try the fuel, do you think it counld be the altanator like its been sitting out in the snow and bad weather without starting for over a month could that have damaged it, i could get a new one tomo evening if so, :confused:

weeJohn

Lifer
If its only showing 8 volts when running the altenator sounds like its not charging the battery, but check the altenator fuse in the engine bay fuse box first, think its 80 Amp and one of the big square ones at the top. Also check the connections at the altenator and the belt is turning it before you buy a new one.

When you start it is the revs low, about 600rpm? if its is, keep your foot on the throttle a bit and see if that helps.

lukep

Member +
Have you got and alarm with imobilisers? If your getting less than 13.5 volts when running its not getting charge to the battery check earths and connections makes sure the plug is pushed in all the way on the back of the alt, If you do need a new alt let me know I can get them cheap as I used to work for a place that reconditioned them :)

Pixie96

Member +
If its only showing 8 volts when running the altenator sounds like its not charging the battery, but check the altenator fuse in the engine bay fuse box first, think its 80 Amp and one of the big square ones at the top. Also check the connections at the altenator and the belt is turning it before you buy a new one.

When you start it is the revs low, about 600rpm? if its is, keep your foot on the throttle a bit and see if that helps.

Alright ill have a look when i get home from work.. no when i start its up at about 1700 like its warming up then it idles perfect and then lights start to dim and go out then it cuts out, I dont no weather this has anything to do with it but the rev gauge has stopped working too?? no alarm on it luke will do cheers man,

Pixie96

Member +
I looked at the fuses changed it and still same when have jump leads on it run's fine minute i take them off the car dies?? think i may just go buy a new altanator?

Paul_JJ

Member +
Ignition, spark plugs, leads, rotor arm - my car used to start and then after some time the engine would stall!!!

Pixie96

Member +
Ignition, spark plugs, leads, rotor arm - my car used to start and then after some time the engine would stall!!!

Iv checked all above and most have just gone in over christmas, I cant figure it out Why Does it run when jump leads are on?? is there any other fuses or conectors i should look for?