Caravan chassis to car transport

Gryzor

Admin
I'm looking for design ideas and maybe plans for building a single axle 1000kg car transport from a caravan chassis ?

weeJohn

Lifer
Check it out for legality Ritchie, I think its not acceptable for new transporters now. To be honest after owning a few, you really get what you pay for in trailers.

Ted

Member +
One less caravan can only be a good thing. As wee John said car trailers need to be 100 per cent to take major weight. We've had 3 wheels on our wagon more than once if you know what I mean.

weeJohn

Lifer
That would be perfect if you are just planning on transporting 1 type or a certain type of car, but its not very versatile and a transporter is quite an asset to have.

Gryzor

Admin
Flat tyres are a concern but I've had a tyre blowout on a single axle trailer before

There was also this design ..

HPIM3296.JPG

3trailer2.jpg

ref. www.locostbuilders.co.uk

I'd replace the hardwood with inch ply , its just for loads around 1000kg, Looking for ideas around ramps and loading...?

Rory

Lifer
From the pic the axle will need moved back, and alot of bracing aswell.

Another question is will the hubs be up to it?
Is there brakes on it?

Gryzor

Admin
Will you need to move the axle back with that one or is it just the angle the pic is taken?

From the pic the axle will need moved back, and alot of bracing aswell.

Another question is will the hubs be up to it?
Is there brakes on it?

60% of the platform needs to be in front of the axle....the end of the chassis will have to be removed as they won't be enough for ramps etc. In the finished transport pictured above eventhing is moved forward.

The caravan chassis was certified for loads up to 1060kg so starlets & mx5 weight range.

Gryzor

Admin
Found a local hire place does new car transporter hire for £35 so no need to build this. It's now a nice 5x8 flatbed trailer.