careers???

drew-turbo

Member +
right well im 18 currently cleaning at a chocolate factory doing loads of hours. i have been waiting for a reply from bmw bodyshop for quite a while now so i have just give up on that but theres this thing that i did at school and because i dont have gcses they said they can help me out so i just need a bit of guidance for a career prefferebly to do with cars thats quite well paid after college/apprentaship. i know the choice is mine but i dont know what to do i just want a few careers to choose from thanks
Drew

nottyash

Fresh Recruit
right well im 18 currently cleaning at a chocolate factory doing loads of hours. i have been waiting for a reply from bmw bodyshop for quite a while now so i have just give up on that but theres this thing that i did at school and because i dont have gcses they said they can help me out so i just need a bit of guidance for a career prefferebly to do with cars thats quite well paid after college/apprentaship. i know the choice is mine but i dont know what to do i just want a few careers to choose from thanks
Drew

You will be lucky. Now is a bad time to be looking to a job like that. Our local BMW dealership has just laid 8 people off...I think it may even disappear!

Join the forces and train that way. Plenty of jobs with cars....so long as you like deserts and dont mind being shot at!:haha:

drew-turbo

Member +
lol yer thats no problem at all :drive::shoot:

im getting my car fixed next week you still up for a meet sometime?

Sigma

Member +
Sounds like school wasn't for you, dude, so the forces aptitude test may come as a shock.

If I were you, It'd be my first port of call.

If you can get through the entry medical, fitness and aptitude tests, basic training and then pass out, you'll get trade training for 9 months, then on into the service.

I was going to follow this, but was have really odd blood pressure, which hinders my stamina. I lost 3 stone, from 16, to 13, but still didnt actually get any fitter! Oddsquad yo.

With no GCSE's, the forces would be a viable option, but you've got to be prepared to slog your bollocks off for the first year.

A note to take down is that the airforce is the hardest to get into, the navy second and the army third.

Something for you to think about... Tommy.

Jay

Admin
The motor trade is suffering badly at the minute and I wouldn't be advising you to rush into such a shrinking sector mate. The hours are long, money is shit and gratitude is scarce at the best of times. It's steadily getting worse recently.

nottyash

Fresh Recruit
lol yer thats no problem at all :drive::shoot:

im getting my car fixed next week you still up for a meet sometime?

Yes, I am on leave at the moment so can meet up no problem.
I am in the Navy.
It depends what branch you join as to how easy it is to get in. I cant speak for the other forces but we have started a VM (Vehicle mechanic) branch as part of the ME ( Marine engineering) branch. Its a short term thing where you join as a ME and go VM for a few years. There are incentives to get people to do it like pay, promotion and time off. Downside is your working in a war zone alongside Marines repairing their landrovers.

Sigma

Member +
The motor trade is suffering badly at the minute and I wouldn't be advising you to rush into such a shrinking sector mate. The hours are long, money is shit and gratitude is scarce at the best of times. It's steadily getting worse recently.

I really can't explain the financial behavior of our Garage/MOT Test centre.

The amount of work that we are getting is amazing.

We're booked up until the 17th of November, for everything!

Considering looking for staff to cope with the work load!

Jay

Admin
I really can't explain the financial behavior of our Garage/MOT Test centre.

Independants and associated businesses are in a different position to the main dealer networks.

People aren't prepared to pay the dealer prices (parts and labour) and that's why motor factors, MOT centres, backstreet garages and non-franchised car dealers are seeing more custom.

weeJohn

Lifer
You could always consider training in a motor craft field such as smart paint repairs or paintless dent removal. You can work in your current job until you do the training at your own speed, then see about getting a grant from one of the buisness agencies to get you started.

Its something you can do as well as another part time job until it takes off, ideally you want to get some connections with dealerships and that will get you some forecourt work.

Guy who used to work with me did it until about 8 months ago, now he is out on his own and left his electricians job as the other is paying better.