catch can is filling up

Sharagath

Member +
i noticed my catch can is filling with oil.

i have a rebuilded engine with no boost and my catch can gets filled.

i connected my PCV to the breather with a T-pice this is connected to my catch can, wich is connected to my air filter

what am i doning worng?
car is not smoking or smelly

Rory

Lifer
Mines looks brown aswell.

Did you gut your PCV to let it breath? How much oil has it used?

Have you pics of your breather setup?

Rory

Lifer
Empty it out, If its water like, then it will be condensation.
If its thicker like oil, then you may have a problem.

As per the picture, you have the PCV hooked into the line from the inlet manifold to the catch tank?

Try blocking off the inlet manifold, and gutting the PCV to let it breath. Keep the line from the PCV to the catch tank.
I have done this, and my engine is healthy.

Sharagath

Member +
Empty it out, If its water like, then it will be condensation.
If its thicker like oil, then you may have a problem.

As per the picture, you have the PCV hooked into the line from the inlet manifold to the catch tank?

Try blocking off the inlet manifold, and gutting the PCV to let it breath. Keep the line from the PCV to the catch tank.
I have done this, and my engine is healthy.

i will empty it end of the week, at my garage then.
inlet manifold plug is used for the wastegate and bov

i have hooked the PCV to the carter ventilation plug at the rocker cover(right plug) and together they get to the catch can.

Chris@CCM

Member +
take a pix of ur piping to ur catch . hard to make out were all ur pipes are going. i would block the pipe going to the inlet manifold up

weeJohn

Lifer
Looks like it is connected up right. Most 4efte set ups have an actual filter on the rocker cover as well, that may be the difference in your set up.

The filter usually goes on where the stock recirculating dump valve was connected onto. Sorry i dont have any good pics.

Sharagath

Member +
i now see the confusion.

the pipe to the inlet manifold is connected to the waste gate.

the PCV and rocker cover breather hole are together connected to the catch can witch is breathing after the air filer.

Rory

Lifer
The liquid looks exactly like mine. Water.

Try running a single line from the PCV to the can, and vent the other to the atmosphere.
Obviously for this to work you would have to gut the PCV.

Cant understand why some people run the gasses back into the inlet tract, it contaminating the inlet charge!

Anyway, as stated in the first line, looks like water. 2 min job to find out.

Sharagath

Member +
The liquid looks exactly like mine. Water.

Try running a single line from the PCV to the can, and vent the other to the atmosphere.
Obviously for this to work you would have to gut the PCV.

Cant understand why some people run the gasses back into the inlet tract, it contaminating the inlet charge!

Anyway, as stated in the first line, looks like water. 2 min job to find out.

thanks look into this.
i will modify the PCV and let the can breath directly to air, instead of the turbo inlet

WallaceGlanza

Member +

Thats the way the stock set up is, I would think it works better having a vaccuum source to pull the oil and gases through, then the oil gets left in the can.

I thought that was the whole point in the catch can without the vaccuum source the vapours won't be effectively extracted, thats always the way I thought of it?

Rory

Lifer
Wallace,

Yep your right, BUT you can also take the other port of the catch can and run a line under the car in the air stream.
Run the line facing away from the air flow and it will create a vacume, and will draw air out, and leave moisture in the tank. Simple but effective.

Its how i have mine setup just now, and the out port line is coloured the same as the inward line from the breather, meaning it works. :p

Rory

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Thats an interesting way to do it, I suppose the fumes from combustion would go back into the inlet with the way I mentioned but I still think its better than just having one end of the catch can with nothing on it. You see pictures of setups this way and the pipe just off the breather is dirty then the rest is clean (unlike yours) showing that its not doing anything and the can is pointless.

Might give your method a try when I finally get a catch can.;)

Sorry for the post hi-jack sharagath.

Rory

Lifer
Your right in a way, but why put dirty gasses into your inlet stream? ;)
See the pic below to see it does work.

DSC_0434.jpg

Sharagath, as per the pic, that is how i have my breather system hooked up, bearing in mind, i have the PCV gutted out, so it can breathe as normal.

Rory

Sharagath

Member +
Your right in a way, but why put dirty gasses into your inlet stream? ;)
See the pic below to see it does work.

DSC_0434.jpg

Sharagath, as per the pic, that is how i have my breather system hooked up, bearing in mind, i have the PCV gutted out, so it can breathe as normal.

Rory

thanks for the info, i will modify it friday next week

how is that moisture getting in to the carter? is it the weather?