cheap fcd..

Dave.

Member +
Spot on^

While it may work, I'd like the comfort of a good brand behind something as important as that :)

Dave

high guys probs a daft question but does the manufacture of fcd really matter?
the reason im asking is .
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adjustable-FC...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

i know that when you go above fuel cut it runs lean but im running stock everything but hitting fuel cut on high boost at all times and its driving me mad.
im low on funds thats why im looking at things like these.
any ideas?
thanks

calm your boost down a bit and dont think about fitting an fcd without having the money to sort fueling with it.

get your boost controlled:)

twaiter

Member +
thats kinda wat i was thinking..
see my hi-low has been bypassed so its always in high, so should i get a manual boost controller and a fcd from hks or watever im a bit low on funds so trying to pick the best options..
suggestions it much appreciated guys!

GTnomez

Member +
Depends on what he is planning to use though. A HKS FCD would work better with a RRFPR.

dont matter a jam/greddy will always be better than the hks one, doesnt matter what he is planning, as they go lean, better off knowing the greddy/jam wont go lean as it wont 'trick' the ecu

Dave.

Member +
It still 'tricks' the ECU, just in a different way...

A Jam/greddy unit will still run lean, just in a different way.

ChrisGT

Member +
It still 'tricks' the ECU, just in a different way...

A Jam/greddy unit will still run lean, just in a different way.

HKS will lean out throughout the entire rev range regardless of boost and you'll be able to compensate this with the FPR. JAM will allow it to run very rich low down until over fuel cut point, won't it?

Dave.

Member +
Still run lean over fuel cut though I think

Like I said, still lean, different way :)

Neither should be used without fueling mods, and with fueling mods its really 6 and half a dozen, pros and cons to each side afaik

twaiter

Member +
god this is confusing lol,
i had a fpr if tht helps, but i dont want it going lean and breaking my engine!
i'll be happy just running standard boost n stuff just now untill i get my decat and mani at sumpoint..

I dont know why everyone on here is being so anal about a FCD, all its doing is clamping the voltage to the ecu so it thinks your running under boost cut.

That will work fine, many people over in NZ make their own FCD out of about $10 bucks worth of parts and many last years and years!

Worst that can happen is if it somehow fails you will hit fuel cut..

Edit: Although it may pay to get something to up the fuel as if you start running 15, 16psi ect it will start to run lean.

Last edited:

Dave.

Member +
Thats one scenario for it failing, another would be it supplies an altered reading to the ECU, resulting in rich/lean fueling

Do it wrong, do it twice.

Its silly to cut corners with important parts

Dave

ChrisGT

Member +
I dont know why everyone on here is being so anal about a FCD, all its doing is clamping the voltage to the ecu so it thinks your running under boost cut.

Edit: Although it may pay to get something to up the fuel as if you start running 15, 16psi ect it will start to run lean.

We're not being anal about using a FCD; we're just trying to make sure the guy sorts out his fueling and to do this the type of FCD has to be taken into consideration.

starbogt

Member +

That will work fine, many people over in NZ make their own FCD out of about $10 bucks worth of parts and many last years and years!

Worst that can happen is if it somehow fails you will hit fuel cut..

I must agree cheaper is not always a worse choice ... if you looked inside any fcd its so basic you would turn your guts after spending £90+ they cost very little to make even for hks jam etc if this has been made correctly then it would work exactly as the hks.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Thats one scenario for it failing, another would be it supplies an altered reading to the ECU, resulting in rich/lean fueling

Do it wrong, do it twice.

Its silly to cut corners with important parts

Dave

It's not cutting corners thoug really, you're not paying for HKS's expertise with their FCD, you're paying for the brand. This is probably near identicle on the inside. Dave Burwash builds cheaper engines than Jam or Zep, but that doesn't make his engine inferior.