cheap pc, where from?

dac69er

Super Moderator
looking for a new pc.
cant be arsed to build one. just want a reasonable base unit for about £200.

any ideas?

dac69er

Super Moderator
reasonable and 200 bones, hmmmm. go 2nd hand mate.

when i say reasonable for that much i mean not being fucked over and getting a complete shitter when i could have got better.

its only for pictures, some videos, copying stuff to cd and memory sticks etc, internet and basic games. it doesnt need to be amazing at all.

dac69er

Super Moderator
doesnt seem that great really? plus they only have windows xp????

just want something i can plug in and play. cant be arsed to mess about as im lazy :)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
a 5000x2 with 1gb and a 160gb for £158 quid ain't good?

good luck then. and vista is shite, far better off with xp.

dac69er

Super Moderator

good luck then. and vista is shite, far better off with xp.

ive never had any trouble with vista home premium. xp is old hat.

when i say not great, i meant the price. like i said, not bothered if its the best pc in the world. just dont want to get ripped off.

vsTurbo95

Fresh Recruit
Hey mate, if you want to spend little money then the last thing you want is Vista eating your resources for no reason other than prettier interface. XP is way faster on old computers and anything less than 2GB ram with Vista is a big no no.

GTdan

In The Closet

thats really cheap, you could save yourself a little bit by building it yourself, but not much.

as for vista - maybe in 12 months time yes it will be fine, but xp pro all the way.

dac69er

Super Moderator
like i said. ive never had any problems with vista. may as well have it now as im not going to upgrade it in a years time.

you can get a dual core with 2gb ram and 160gb hdd with vista home premium for the same price on the high street if not a bit less so its not a great price.

dac69er

Super Moderator
^^^ i can never understand this. both me, my girlfriends and my sisters laptops have it on and have been spot on.

others i know who use it have had no problems with it. its hardly any different to xp to be honest. change a few settings and you wouldnt klnow the difference between the two.

peen

Lifer
I've had a look around the deal web sites for you and this is the best I can see at the moment.

http://hotukdeals.com/item/251581/vostro-desktop-200-163-33-dell/

Not really a great spec to be honest, and only 1gb which IMHO is too low for Vista but at least the OS is included. :) Only draw back is it is through Dell Business which means you aren't covered by Distance Selling Regs if you change your mind!

Keep an eye on there though as some real bargains come up.

I got this one 10 months ago and yes my £50 cash back came through. :)

http://hotukdeals.com/item/122382/hp-dx2250-athlon-64-x2-5000-2-6ghz-/

Last edited:

Big_Daddy

Member +
IMOP Ive upgraded from xp to vista and ran it for a few months, it work nicley and does feels quicker than XP. Vista is ok but there are compatible isse when you use wide range of apps. One of my concern is, creative sound blaster no longer support dolby digital on vista and the sound quality is crap on the 5.1.
So im back to xp.

dac69er

Super Moderator
got one yesterday. got an acer. 2gb ram, intel dual core processor, 320gb harddrive, geforce graphics card £260.

setting it all up now :)

AdDaMan

Member +
i have vista and 3gb ram and its still slow. its just shite. looks good and pretty but thats it. XP is better.

Im getting a Mac. PC's are shite in comparison.